Combined Chlorine/spaguard Enhanced Shock

shlalaw

Research has left me confused. I regularly use SpaGuard Enhanced Shock to keep free chlorine between 3-5 ppm. Is combined chlorine something I have to be overly concerned with using this product? I am using a Taylor kit to measure, and a combined reading today was 3.2. Of course, I am making sure pH level (7.4) is okay beforehand.

SpaGuard Spa Shock is a non-chlorine shock (MPS) that will register as Combined Chlorine (CC). SpaGuard Enhanced Shock is 58.2% Dichlor but the rest might also include non-chlorine shock (MPS). I suspect that it does and is why you are getting high CC readings. If you want a true reading of real CC vs. MPS, you need to get the http://www.taylortechnologies.com/products_kitinfo.asp?&MarketID=1&KitID=2266'>Taylor K-2042 kit to supplement your K-2006. Or you can just stop using the shock product and the MPS will go away in a few days so you should see your CC drop.

Is there any particular reason why you aren't using pure Dichlor (chlorinating granules) or using regular bleach?

Is there any particular reason why you aren't using pure Dichlor (chlorinating granules) or using regular bleach?

Uh-oh. Because i'm a newbie (October - Hot Spot Rhythm)? And because the dealer only left me with SpaGuard Enhanced Shock? Using the Taylor kit, I have been able to keep FC levels correct with the product. So I should get something like SpaGuard Chlorinating Concentrate instead? If so, when should I use the Enhanced Shock? The tub came with a silver ion cartridge. FWIW, the Enhanced Shock costs less than the Chlorinating Conentrate. Thanks.

Mmmmm.... Usually MPS is more expensive than Dichlor so maybe that isn't what is in the Enhanced Shock. Though you could use the chlorinating concentrate (pure Dichlor) instead, you could also use the Dichlor-then-bleach system which would be even less expensive.

With a silver ion cartridge, you could use the Nature2 system which uses mostly MPS. It's more expensive, but you won't have chlorine in the tub most of the time except for a weekly or so shocking.

Since you've already got the Enhanced Shock, you can use it if you want to. As for the CC, if your tub doesn't smell like "bad chlorine smell" (not fresh bleach smell, but more like what it smells like in a busy indoor chlorinated pool that isn't maintained well) then you probably don't need to worry about it. As a test, stop using the Enhanced Shock and use either the chlorinating concentrate or bleach instead. If the CC goes down, then it's probably MPS in the Enhanced Shock that is showing up as CC. However, for the FAS-DPD test you are using, I thought that MPS showed up as FC, not CC (it shows up as CC in the DPD test), but according to Taylor's instructions it may require a delay in time for the interference to take effect so maybe depending on how you test it does show up as CC after all.

Who knows what's in the Enhanced Shock? SpaGuard and the MSDS don't say. And you may have to use less of the Chlorinating Concentrate which would cost less per use.

As you indicated earlier, and the Taylor website says, "to achieve accurate readings for combined chlorine the MPS interference had to be eliminated." Since I already have the other reagents in the Taylor kit you mentioned, I am going to order some of the deox, R-0687, and then run a combined chlorine test. If I am still getting high CC after that, I may give the Chlorinating Concentrate a shot.

And for the record, I am glad I got a Taylor kit as suggested on the forum. I use strips only for quick checks.

Thanks. I am still learning, and your input has been very helpful.

• 8 years later...

This is an old post, but this SpaGuard question is relevant still. I was given some SpaGuard Enhanced Shock (long story) and I wanted to figure out if I should use it. First glance I was thinking yeah I can use this as a source of dichlor, but the "other" ingredients accounted for ~50%. The label states that it is a shock, not for direct use of sanitizer. Found the SDS and there is in addition to dichor 10–30% sodium persulfate, ~10% aluminium sulfate (flocculant), ~10% "trade secret boron salt" (probably adjusted boric acid). Quite the cocktail and yeah it probably should not be used for daily sanitizer maintenance, but an all-around weekly maintenance item. Note that persulfate is NOT to be confused with the frequently mentioned "non-chlorine" monopersulfate/peroxymonosulfate/MPS.

Sounds fine for shock assuming my CYA is within reason; however, I dose my borax at fill time and don't need any more. Is it bad to have high boric acid, assuming pH is kept adjusted?

Also, I read posted elsewhere, I believe by @chem geek, that persulfate is an irritant (I assume more so than MPS). Also, it won't oxidize chlorides or bromides back to life. Any more thoughts or insight on the persulfate vs MPS usage here?

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone. I am trying to get to the bottom of an itch/reaction to our new spa that is happening to my husband only. I think by deduction, it is the shock. We started with the Frog Ease plus Spaguard Enhanced Shock, then switched to Siver mineral cartridge plus the Spaguard Spa Shock Oxidizer.  

We just drained and refilled the tub and before I shock with anything I want to figure out if there's a shock product available without the MPS.  I am new to this and trying to figure it all out - thank you! 

Yep. Chlorine. You can use dichlor (spa chlorine granules) until cya reaches 30 then switch to liquid (bleach). Keep ph balanced, most reactions are to ph.

Does your spa have ozone or uv? 

I recommend ahhsome spa purge in any new-to-you spa, even a brand new one. You'd be shocked at the nasties that can grow in pipes.

Search this forum for "rash" and see what others have done to determine the source of their issues.