Need Help - D1 Purchase Dilemma

ibuiltit

Ok, so...

I've been reading the forum for a little bit and planning my first tub purchase. My wife and I are closing on a house that had a tub and it is not included but the home is already set up. I found a used 6-yr old D1 Lotus Bay for $7k, and the seller owns a pool/spa store. Good news, until I found out the store had a D- (!) BBB rating.

I like the Bay series from the limited internet research I've done, but I have not wet tested any tubs yet since I wasn't planning on seriously shopping until after we move. I am a capable mechanic and feel that I could troubleshoot most mechanical problems that may arise in the future, since the plumbing and equipment are out of warranty, and I believe there is another D1 authorized dealer in the area I'll be moving to if any other service issues crop up. The tub is up and running currently and the seller said he could help me move it. One other wrinkle - the store the seller told me he owns was formerly the store that had the D- rating; I haven't been able to find any reviews on the new store (or new store name, at least) and I don't know if it's the same owner/new name or a completely new business.

What would you do in this situation? I don't see it as any worse than buying from Joe Schmoe off of CraigsList; I wouldn't expect any service or support from some random seller so I figure anything this guy might be able to provide still puts me ahead of the game if I buy a used tub...

I agree with your logic that even if his store has a poor rating you're better off buying from him than a stranger on Craigslist. The only problem is that you'll always pay more from a store because of the perceived value of getting something than has been checked out and because in my experience they almost always give some type of in-store warranty (typically 3 to 6 months, sometimes a year). Having said that, the price is just too high IMO. I always use a general rule that a spa loses 40% of its original purchase price the first year, 10% the second year and 5% each year thereafter so for a 6 year old spa I'd suggest a price of 30% its original price. Of course condition matters tremendously so that varies in each case and buying from the dealer is worth something even without a store warranty but I'd say $4k and can't see more than $5k though maybe he priced it at $7k and expects to haggle. Its all negotiable, including you asking for more of a store warranty. Having said that, you can get a good new spa for $6k and a good new premium spa starting at about $8k. Of course it all depends on the bells and whistles you are looking for.

For $7k, I wouldn't buy a 6 year-old tub. The rest of your story just re-affirms that.

My two cents: I'd wait until you moved in, and shop for a new tub, and take your time to get something nice, something you are sure you really want.

Yea 7K is to much. Now if it was 4-5K maybe.