Irritation / Cough After Using Hot Tub - Cause?

Drags

Hi

recently I have found that after using my hot tub i am left with a bit of a chesty cough / irration which seems to last a day or two before disappearing. I'm trying to pin point if there's something specific which could be causing this.

I'm using chlorine as my sanitizer in a Hot Spring Sovereign tub. Could this be related to a high FAC when using the tub? or high level of chloramines in the water? Or something to do with gas being given off when first lifting the cover off the tub after a period of non-use or when first turning the jets on?

Any advice or suggestions welcome.

It does have an ozonator yes. I'm the only one whose been affected by it. Is there a sensible way to clear th bacteria if it was related to that. Would a shock do the trick or would I need a complete flush, empty and refill?

i don't have any reliable way to measure CYA at the moment. Being UK based it's very hard to source a reliable drop test kit, but I'm trying to find something like the Taylor K-2006. I've onlty had the spa about 6 weeks.

Thanks for additional thought about the Ozonator. I guess i need to try a bit of trial and elimination to see if i can pin point the cause.

You can get a LaMotte 7022 FAS-DPD kit from Sword Scientific. It is similar to the Taylor K-2006. Sword does not list it on their website but others in the UK have reported that they contacted Sword and were able to get it. Sword carries the entire LaMotte line of kits it seems.

Yes you can get Lamotte from Sword it's around £70 from what I recall. Once you get make sure you don't run too low on reagents as Sword often run low and supplies can be difficult.

You can get a LaMotte 7022 FAS-DPD kit from Sword Scientific. It is similar to the Taylor K-2006. Sword does not list it on their website but others in the UK have reported that they contacted Sword and were able to get it. Sword carries the entire LaMotte line of kits it seems.

Yes you can get Lamotte from Sword it's around £70 from what I recall. Once you get make sure you don't run too low on reagents as Sword often run low and supplies can be difficult.

they actually wanted £79.84 plus £10 postage, plus VAT. so about £107.81 total which is quite a lot. i'm still looking into it, and am in the USA in May next year so may just try and get myself a Taylor K-2006 when i'm over

For £100 it's worth it- how much will you spend on std testing between now and then ? £10 per 40 test strips or so, so I reckon at least £50 anyway but your call...and don't forget you will need access to a restocking supply for the future.

how long does the standard stock of tests etc last in one of these kits?

• 9 years later...