No Local Tubs To Wet Test

TdiDave

My family is searching for a tub. I'm having a problem finding a dealer that has more than one tub wet for testing locally. Would like to purchase locally so within 2 hours we only have a HotSprings and Beachcomber dealers. The hot springs dealer has about 4 tubs on the floor with water only in a grande (to big for us). Beachcomber dealer just got done a clearance sale to make room for the winter stoves and fireplaces they sell and now only have a low end small tub wet.

We would like to get something before winter but are really worried about just picking out the model we with out wet testing the exact model we like. Any ideas

I certainly would recommend you stick with a local dealer in the general area and typically would recommend them being within 1 hour but your statements about sticking with someone within 2 hrs tells me maybe you're in a rural area where sometimes you have to stretch it a bit further but more than 2 hrs is pretty far IMO.

Wet testing the Grandee will tell you what the jets will feel like in the other Hot Spring models because each HSS has the plumbning designed and produced in such a way so that the flow through the jets are consistent from model to model. For instance the moto-jet in a Grandee should feel like one in an Envoy, as will the Soothing 7 ... However, the wet test is certainly still important because it tells you how the seating will feel to you, depth, how the lounge fits... Have you made your reluctance to purchase without a wet test known to the dealer? Maybe if they know you are serious they'll make arrangements for you.

I was able to find a Jacuzzi dealer today but is about 2 hours away. They were very pleasant to deal with and had 3 tubs wet and said he would try to accommodate wet testing the models we want. We are going to go visit our local HS & Beachcomber (within 30 minutes) the weekend and talk with them about filling some tubs as recommended.

From my reading any of these 3 brands would be equally as good if the comfort is right ?

<p style="margin-left: 40px">They are all quality tubs so I would base the choice on other factors.</p>

<p style="margin-left: 40px"> </p>

<p style="margin-left: 40px">Ideally you will find that one of the two nearby dealers will have a tub that works for you but if the tub from two hours away really seems to be the one you want and the dealer is solid I would go for it.  Just make sure that you and the dealer have a clear understand about service, if needed.  Discuss cost, timing - get it in writing.  Paying a service charge is fair for the that 1/2 day round trip but maybe the dealer will feel that the rate can be relaxed.  Hopefully the trip won't be needed, with a good tub.  Maybe he can arrange with a local tech to do it and avoid the travel charge - might get quicker service too.</p>

Two hours away is pretty far. I'd be leery of buying from that far away but if thats your best option you'll certainly want to get in writing what they may charge to come out for warranty service because I'd expect a trip fee for that far off. Let your local dealer know the lack of wet testing may force you to buy from a faraway dealer. Maybe that will spur them on a bit.

Got some wet testing done yesterday, with my wife. and as everyone states it must be done.

What a difference in the feel from tub to tub even within the same brand. All the dealers seem to be very accomidating, I guess one they realize you are serious about a purchase.

We started the day wanting a tub with a lounger. We got to try out most of the hotsprings line up and nothing really seem to jump out. The Envoy was difficult to enter and exit as the lounger is right at the front, also the lounger was to long and we didnt fit, the captains chair was kinda nice but cut for a larger person so the jets didn't hit in the right places. The sovern had a nice entry step and the lounger was a bit shoter and did work ok but we didn't seem to be very exited about the rest of the seats. They had no Aria in stock and won't for some time so still wonder what it would be like.

The beachcomber dealer didn't have the models we really liked in but did try one of the entry level tubs and again no wow factor.

After we left there we figured a lounger was out of the mix and start to think about some other ideas.

We then made the trip to the Jacuzzi dealer. Tried a j-480 and we got the wow response. The lounger fit us both great, loved the center well hump with the feet jets. All of the seat just seem to fit well.

The Jacuzzi dealer was very nice, explained everything and was not pushy. Did get a little of "ours has the best x in the industry" stuff maybe a bit more than the beachcomber guy but less than the hot springs guy. They do have 3 locations and have been doing the jacuzzi for some time. The made what seems like a fair offer of $11,700.

So now need some opinions. Should we wait till we can compare to some others? What other tubs would be similar to the j-480 that we should look at?