Best Sanitation Method For Mountain House With Sporadic Use

rcowart

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have. I've been doing lots of reading in the forums, but am still confused.

We're going to get a new hot tub / spa for use in a mountain house in Fraser, CO. Looking at smaller tubs, 250 - 350 gal.

We will typically use the tub most weekends during the summer and ski season (2 adults and 2 kids), with occasional visits lasting a week and sometimes several months with no use at all (especially spring and fall).

What sanitation approach and protocol would you recommend for this situation and would you suggest something different for the stretches where we may not be there for 6-10 weeks? Is a SWCG the way to go?

my 350 gallon sundace altmar only takes about 3-6 hours to heat up from fresh fill (60 degree water) depending on the time of year. If i was going to be gone for more than 4 weeks i'd definately drain it. Otherwise like WB stated 3 step bromine works great. For extended absences you can go with two floater on 1/2 the normal release setting to get longer lasting tablets.

3 step bromine or SWCG (set on low) would be fine for the seasons you're using the tub. Either system can be left unattended for a week or two without any serious consequences.

As for leaving the tub for 10 weeks, I'd have to agree with Waterbear that draining is the safest option. Use of "twin" floaters might last 8 weeks but the supply of sanitizer is not the only problem with "extended" absence. Both 3 step bromine and SWCG are "Net Acidic". In the absence of aeration, there is a real posibility of the pH droping dangerously low. This could result in permanent damage to the heater element and pump seals.