Cya Granuales

I purchased this product thinking I may need it dispite my choice of using trichlor tablets. But I been advised that it will take almost a week before the granuales dissolve. Being that it is an acid, how does one deal with the problem of these granuales getting stuck on their feet and not knowing it.

Does this product come in liquid form?

You are correct, in that it is redundant to use tabs and cya, as you will probably be able to accumulate around 50ppm relatively quickly. I would definately test you CYA level before adding any additional stabilizer to the water.

That being said, when you use granular CYA, do not broadcast it across the pool like you would with other chemicals. The best way to dissolve it is to take a stocking and fill it will an amount of the chemical, then place it in your skimmer so it will disperse slowly and out of the way. A lot of pool guys will also just poor it slowly into the skimmer and let it sit in the filter to dissolve, but I prefer the sock method.

They do make liquid CYA, it is just very expensive for what you get. Buy yourself a stocking and something nice with the money you save.

Thanks,

Right now, my setup does not support a skimmer ( I think). Its a small 14 foot diameter Intex pool. I have a cheap pump with a large cartridge in it (about 4 inch by 8 inch). But next season, I am stepping up to a larger pool about 28 feet long by 14 to 16 foot wide and this will probally have the means to allow for a skimmer.

The sock idea has me wondering because the granules are an acid. Won't the sock disintergrate after a short use? I have a few fine mesh bags that I could use and place the bag in a floater and then remove it when the family wants to use the pool. But I will only do this if I cannot get my cya values up to where they should be. I just started to use the trichlor tablets. My most recent test result for cya indicated less then 30 ppm using Taylors K 2006 cya test. I am going to wait a week and test again before I use cya granules.

Given your situation, you may want to use granular dichlor chlorine. It will both chlorinate the pool and raise the CYA significantly in a short timespan. Considering that the lifespan of your pool is as limited as the weather, you won't suffer from the issues that a typical pool owner will from shock over use (which is having to drain a portion of there pool if the CYA elevates too much. You're draining at the end of the season anyway).

And yes, it is an acid, but it's too weak. Your sock will be fine.

there are acids and acids. All these are also acids and non will disintegrate a sock because they are considered weak acids

vinegar (pH about 2.2 so it is very acidic)

Lemon Juice (pH about 2 so it is very acidic)

tomato juice (pH of about 4.5)

wine and beer (pH about 4)

milk (pH about 6.6)

club soda or any other carbonated beverage (carbonic acid) (pH around 5)

ascorbic acid (vitamin C) solutions generally about pH 2-3)

Sour Salt (used in eastern european and Jewish cooking in place of vinegar, it's citric acid) (pH of solutions generally about 2)

yogurt (pH about 4.5)

most hair conditoners are also acidic (pH usually 4-5)

Just because something is an acid does not mean it is caustic A pH of 7 is neutral. Anything with a pH below 7 is an acid. Anything with a pH above 7 is alkaline. The water in your swimming pool is alkaline (normal pH range 7.2 to 7.8). The trichlor tabs are very acidic (pH below 2) and somewhat caustic Putting a trichlor tab in a sock will ruin the sock. Putting CYA in a sock won't.

for reference, a concentrated Cyanuric acid solution has a pH of about 4 making it less acidic than lemon juice, vitamin C, sour salt, or vinegar and about as acidic as wine and beer.