Am I Doing This Right? Are Dealers Instructions Correct?

nestlund

Hi guys. I purchased an ECCO brand hot tub from Great Escape in Chicago last October. I want to make sure the water maintenance steps are correct.

I am using a natures way yellow bromine stick in my filter which I am changing out on every water change (3-4 months). Weekly they told me too add 1 tsp of natures way sani chlor and a micro amount of ultra clear 5 in 1.

Before each hot tub use they told me to add 1/2 tbsp of natures way spa shock. My concern is shocking so often because of the threads I've seen on here. My water is crystal clear but I want to make sure I am doing it correctly.

Thanks,

Nate

Are you sure you don't mean a Nature 2 spa stick by Zodiac? (it's a yellow plastic stick that fits inside the filter and is sold by Great Escapes and many other retailers.). L3Zhci93d3cvdmhvc3RzL3RoZXdlbGxpbmMuY29tL2h0dHBkb2NzL2NsaWVudHMvMjAvc2hvcHBpbmdfaW1hZ2VzL25hdHVyZTJzcGEuanBn300300.pngIt is a silver/MPS (potassium momopersulfate) sanitation system and is not bromine nor chlorine. Bromine cannot be used with it at all and chlorine is only used as a weekly or as needed shock but is normally not present in the water.

Nature's Way is a brand of spa and pool chemicals that has nothing at all to do with the Nature 2 spa stick. GreatEscapes sells both the Nature 2 (made by Zodiac) and the Nature's Way brand of chemicals (which I suspect is their house brand).

To properly use the Nature 2 you initially shock it with chlorine on filling the spa to activate it, which allows it to release silver into the water (from silver nitrate encased in ceramic beads in the stick).

You then add the MPS (non chlorine shock) and must keep a residual of MPS in the water at all times. The combination of MPS catalyzed by the silver at the hot water temperature found in a spa becomes your sanitizer. You must have a residual of MPS in the water at all times (and the water must remain hot) if you want the water to remain sanizied. This is why they said to add the spa shock before each use (this is MPS). You are not 'shocking'. You are adding what becomes your santizier. (However, the MPS is normally added after soaking and only added beforehand if testing indicates that the level is too low.) If you do not do this you have no sanitizer in the water. Once a week or more often if needed (if the tub gets heavy use) you need to shock with chlorine to remove any biofilm from the surface of the ceramic beads to ensure that they keep dispensing silver into the water or the system or it stops working.

Best bet is to follow the instructions that come with the Nature 2 stick. Zodiac and Aquachek both sell special test strips for testing MPS levelnature2-test-strips.jpgMPS-10-2011%20web%20image.png

Are you sure you don't mean Ultra Clear 4 in 1 natural clarifier? If so it is a chitosan based clarifier and is probably not needed at all if you are maintaining the Nature 2 system properly but it shouldn't hurt anythng (except causing the filter to gunk up a bit faster).

The sani chlor is your chlorine shock for your weekly shocking, the spa shock is MPS for use after (and possibly before) each soak. Those are the only chemicals you need for your saniizer system. You still might need pH adjusters and maybe baking soda for adjusting TA (TA adjuster is just baking soda, BTW.) The clarifier is not really needed IF you are maintaining the system according to the instructions provided with the Zodiac Nature 2 cartridge but it really won't hurt. You should have some way to test the water for MPS level.

If you read the instructions that came with your Nature2 it tells you to shock with chlorine on filling AFTER balancing the water..

"Superoxidize the spa water with an EPA registered source

of chlorine according to manufacturer’s instructions to burn off

contaminants and activate cartridge.

• Add 1.5 tablespoons of dichlor to spa per 250 gallons

(approx. 1000 liters).

• Note: 1.5 tablespoons is approximately 3/4 ounce or

24 grams.

• Do not enter the spa if the free available chlorine residual

is over 5 ppm.

Important: Initial superoxidation with dichlor is required to

burn off contaminants and activate cartridge"

Sani chlor is chlorine. Spa Shock is MPS. Just follow the instructons that I linked to in the post above and am repeating here:

http://www.zodiacpoo...ds/TL-2700.ashx

If you follow the instructions then the Nature 2 system works well,. The people that have problem with it do not follow the instructions to the letter..