Hello, Im new to this forumn and looking forward to learning and helping as much as possible! Last two weeks I have had this problem with my pool. I can vacuum to waste and my pool looks great! Then over night or some times later in the day my pool is covered with what I think its mustard algea ? Whats the best way to get rid of this prob ? My ph is 7.4-7.8 ... usually have at least .1-.3 Chl level. I also use Phos Free as directed...and Polyethylene / ethylene dichloride as an algea preventitive. What can I do to get rid of this stuff ? Thanks for the help.

Hers some pics of my prob!

http://imgur.com/a/wSskz#0

I'll bet your CYA level is too high and you need to dilute the pool to bring it down.

What is the current level and how are you testing?

Scott

Make sure your testing for free chlorine- as Scott mentioned your chlorine may be locked up if there is too much cyanoric acid aka conditioner in the pool. Since you are vacuuming to waste and still having this problem that may not be the case.

You could try going to 10ppm with liquid shock and then following up the next day with some silver or copper algaecide once chlor levels have returned to normal- polys are kinda weak. Be very very careful with them as they stain and read all the directions on the bottle before using.

I put the new liner in last june and filled the pool up with the garden hose/tap water. I only have a small test kit that test ph and CF. Im learning about CYA now. I guess I need a better test kit to test for the CYA level first. The chlorine does seem to be eaten up very quickly no matter what I use. I can vac the entire pool bottom to waste and have no signs of this stuff.. then two hours later the corners in the deep end are full of it. I have not used a copper based algaecide since I was told it was the culprit turning my daughters hair bright green. At starts up I did use metal free as instructed by the liner company start up kit they sent. could that cause a problem ? Im going to look for a better test kit! Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

ok got a 6 way test kit by HTC. heres my results as of this morning. The bottom and corners are all covered with this algae once again. Readings are before vacuuming.

TC 1-2

Ph 6.8

Alk 40 ppm

Hardness 110 ppm

CYA I did the test as stated. mixed the 7ml of water with the additional 7ml of re agent. Mixed for 30 seconds, pours slowly into the tube with the black dot at the bottom. it was still crystal clear all the way up to the top reading of 30..... the mixture is supposed to be cloudy and you take a reading when the black dot disappears from looking down on the top of the tube. The mixture is not a bit cloudy.

So....what do you guys think ? Im about to go vacuum to waste and get all the algae out of the pool once again. Also... I forgot to mention, my pool sits in the 100 plus degree Texas sun every day withno shade until around 7pm every night.

Seems we have exactly the opposite situation. No free chlorine because there is no CYA with the Texas sun.

Begin shocking using dichlor based powder and then get the CYA level up. Powdered CYA in a sock is cheapest but takes a week to show up. Natural Chemistry has a liquid that shows up in 24.hours but is expensive.

No algaecide needed. Especially copper or silver based. No metals!! Stain potential.

Scott

ok so only pool store option here is leslies...and I hate to buy from them. but I will go there right now and see if they have CYA powder. I have to ask whats the deal with a sock ? sorry new to this part of it wanna make sure im doing it right. And in my reading it seems I need to have a CYA reading of around 80 ppm for this much sun ...does that sound right ?

I would start with 50 ppm with tabs and 70 for a cell. Then bring the FC levels to 8% of the CYA level.

Scott

working on it! thanks for the help so far!

Less algae today...but still there had to vac to waste again. CL is super high and put in 4 lbs of CYA yesterday. I read that it can take a week before your CYA readings are right.... is this true ?

CYA only helps make the chlorine in the pool last longer, if your readings have been hi this entire time and you still have algae then adding CYA wont solve the problem. It will just make you use less chlorine later on.

Metal based algaecides DON'T stain liners especially when you use them according to the labeling and they work so much better than Poly.

If the algae is still not gone and your phos levels are low or zero with hi chlorine levels, just use the silvercide or copper 7 according to the labeling.

The yellow/mustard algae shock level is an FC that is around 60% of the CYA level so it's better to do this shocking with a lower amount of CYA in the water. You also need to get behind light niches and under removable ladders (if any) since the algae likes to hang out in the shade. If this is really yellow/mustard algae, then it should show up on the shady side of the pool and not in full direct sunlight. It's a yellow/mustard colored "dust". Of course, it's also possible you have pollen, but that would show up in sunny areas of the pool wherever circulation drops it.

We have numerous reports of copper algaecide products not only causing staining (though mostly to plaster pools), but also turning blond hair greenish. However, it's your pool and you can follow whatever advice that you want with whatever consequences.