Do You Get Different Grades Of Dichlor?

As long as it's the pure stuff (i.e. it says it's 99% dichloro-s-triazine dihydrate or equivalent name for that chemical) then they are all the same. It'll say 55% Available Chlorine as well.

However, the very same dichlor cah be sold in different containers at very different prices. I recently needed dichlor and went to a local pool where I got 3 ten ounce bags of "vinyl pool shock" for $3 a bag. This is 30 ounces total. I needed more and went back the next day. They were sold out but did have a 2 lb container of "spa chlorinating granules",, also 99% dichlor, for $16! That extra 2 ounces of dichlor cost me about $7!

Both of these were the 'house brand' btw and both were 99% dichlor! No difference!

The other trend I'm finding in the pool/spa industry is that the "ingredients" are mysteriously dissapearing from the labels.

On my last trip to the store I needed CYA and found that the label only called it "Stabilizer", nowhere on the label was there any mention of cyanuric.

I checked several other products and found the same thing. After checking with the salesperson they confirmed that it was indeed CYA but their responses were a bit on the "coy" side. Looks like they're quite happy the contents are now hidden.

Case in point, my discussion, with the salesperson, turned to a pail of "Alkalinity Up", (NO mention of Sodium Bi Carbonate on the label) I said I buy Baking Soda at the local Bulk store for $1.70/Kg and their 2Kg bucket was $14.95!! The salesperson responded with "Yes but you're buying Food Grade this is Pool Grade".... At that point I just shook my head and left with my "Stabilizer"

You can always ask for the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) and they have to give it to you. It lists everything.

I use the Dichlor/ bleach method http://www.poolspafo...showtopic=23090 for sanitizing my spa.

I still have the first 16oz bottle of Dichlor I bought when I got my hot tub.

Dave

For some kinds of products, there might be more trace metals in them which is why you wouldn't want to use them in a pool or spa, but that's not the case with baking soda. It's more with salt where you need to be more careful. Even so, you don't have to get even salt from a pool store.

I have always told my customers to buy ONE bottle of "spa up" and then refill it with baking soda purchased in bulk. That way they have a good bottle, with all the correct labeling consistent with the way they are using the product on hand. I keep my stuff in a little carrier which Leisure Time no longer makes, but it has perfect little places for everything, and I like having all the correct bottles in it...

I also used to buy Dichlor in 100 pound tubs and allow customers to refill their bottles for a couple bucks a pound. I insisted that they put it into bottles with full labels for Dichlor for safety. The economy is so slow right now that I'm worried it might sit around too long, so I haven't done it for awhile.

B)

I have always told my customers to buy ONE bottle of "spa up" and then refill it with baking soda purchased in bulk. That way they have a good bottle, with all the correct labeling consistent with the way they are using the product on hand. I keep my stuff in a little carrier which Leisure Time no longer makes, but it has perfect little places for everything, and I like having all the correct bottles in it...

Chas, I believe your honesty with customers goes a long way!

As a customer, I understand that without profit margin there is no business. I wish more dealers were like yourself, selling by "Value Added" insetad of deception.

Thank-you.

B)