Pump Overheating,, Please Help

hi everyone,,, i just recently bought a used hottub from a guy and i need a liitle a little help,,, first of all, i am very proficient at plumbing, electrical, carpenter by trade working as maintenance man for a steel company so i do know quite a bit but pumps obviously got me baffled.. i bought a 2002 arctic spa cub. the pump i was given with it is a lx whirlpool lp 300 i had to by the cord to hook up into my gecko board for the pump but im not sure if this pump is any good or if i am hooking it up wrong,,, here is what i have the cord from the gecko is green- ground black- low speed red -high speed white neutral. the pump has a black wire , blue wire, and a brown wire, it also has a capacitor which has blue wire and a black wire. the wiring diagram only shows a 2 prong plug with n= blue and brown listed as L the capacitor shows wiring the black to the black wire on the motor and the blue on blue but that leaves me with my black wire on my cord with nowhere to go so i connected it to the black wires as well but this pump trips out and sounds terrible.

can someone tell me the proper way to wire this plug to this pump as well as the capacitor.

i just replaced the bearings in the pump and the wet end looks fine but the pump is overheating still and sounds like hell.

please help before i lose my mind over this

swampdme11

the wiring diagram for this pump only shows a 2 prong plug, with a L i assume is lead and a N i assume is neutral , it shows a black wire in from the pump connected to capacitor and the blue wire in from the pump and connected to the capacitor with the L going to the brown wire in from the pump and ground to the board from the motor . i have a 4 prong plug which is for white=neutral, red=high speed, black=low speed and green=ground.

• 10 years later...

I bought a replacement spa pump/motor assembly Waterway Executive 56 230V 2-speed model as a direct replacement. After hooking it up as per the wiring diagram, and the same as the previous pump motor Black-L low speed,Red-H high speed, White-C common, Green-Ground the pump is overheating to the point of smoking, but has not tripped the breaker yet. What am I missing here?!

It runs quiet on both low and high speeds, and seems normal except for the overheating.