Fiberglass Pool Out Of Level

HELP!

I recently had a San Juan pool installed by A local builder. I noticed that the pool water level was right up to the bottom of the coping straight above the deep end seat and at the other end where the entry steps are its 1.25" from the bottom of the coping so I am 1.25" out of level. The deck was just poured and the builder lied to me of his experience on setting a fiberglass pool. I was referred to him by the San Juan sales rep. Since setting tile to mask this is a little too late. I am thinking of some kind of price reduction since it's out of spec. The salesman lied to me from the start, his experience, when I asked about tile during the build he said fiberglass pools don't have tile , until I showed him they do then he said he meant that was the great thing about them since there would be less maintainence with mineral build-up at the waterline. What should I ask for? A price reduction an live with it? We paid about $30,000 for the Seaside.

HELP AGAIN!

Removing the deck at this point, may cause more harm than good if rebar was J-hooked in the beam to lock it to the deck and provide additional weight. Was a sump leading to a gravel bed under the shell used or a dry well doing the same built?

What are the supporting soil conditions? A 1-1/4" difference suggests there was either settlement or it was eyeballed with a single level. A suitable bed should have supported the shell and water weight.

Tile can still be added which would somewhat mask the height problem. IMHO, this is the route to go but I only see the installer's liability being credit towards regular tile. Any premium tile cost should be born by you but not the install of it.

Scott

The ground is very hard and dry here in arizona so no sump was used. I saw them using a laser transit but I had to go work and coudn't watch all their work like the backfill and waterfill.

The more I look at this mess the lowest point appears to be most drastic around the deep end seat. If I stand on the seat there is a hollow void under it. Is this most likely why it is low in that area? What are fixes in your opinion? I'm pissed and have not let them know yet because there are a few items to be finished.

Hard and dry is helpful but no substitute for a bed made of either mason sand or small (5/8" or smaller) gravel. The hard pack below helps in supporting but not in the leveling, nor does it ensure settlement can't happen. What that hard pack is made of is what determines its load carrying capacity.

The seat didn't cause the drop. I find it more likely the void there formed as a result of the settlement. the pool never having been level, or there is a leak. Getting fill under the seat is going to require access, whether that is be digging under or cutting out the concrete and forcing it in there. What was used for back filling? Dig spoils are not suitable material for this task.

It takes quite a bit of surface area to cause a drop like that. I have my doubts about it ever have been set level with good support to begin with. No digger is accurate enough make a resting bed, hence the need for the gravel or wetted sand underneath to permit the proper leveling with support across the entire bottom, something you said you didn't see done.

Scott

It has sand bed on top of the hard arizona. The backfill was sand washed in. This pool was just installed and even if there are no structural concerns looking at the waterline bothers me.

The deck is done so what are my options?

What would you do with this builder? It is a national chain. Independently owned

Is there a style of tile that would mask or lessen the noticeability?

As for tile, I encourage the use of 1" wide tiles. They handle the curves a shell often has better than wider tiles.

The tiles are about the only thing to do. You can't prove when the level difference happened exactly. There was no soils engineer report either.

Consult with but don't have him represent you yet, an attorney that has successful claims of this sort. Forewarned is forearmed. He will likely do the same. If it seems the installer wants to play hardball, walk away and change the consult to a legal representation as he is now no longer trying to do the right thing and still take your money.

Scott

Use one inch wide tiles. They handle curves best.

Color and pattern are not subjects I will get into. Two each his own there.

There is a bone colored grout so it won't clash.

Scott

If San Juan says that it's structurally sound and I agree to the tile should I allow them and then hold back on the last small payment? I am so pissed about this whole project that if after tiling was done I may still notify the ROC and use that as a lever to get a discount for this negligence. It is about 10%. The Super left me a message yesterday about a conduit sticking 4' out of the ground that I have been bitching about plumbed into the skimmer for hard wiring a leveler and he said that if I want I can cut off the 4 ' length sticking out of the ground, put some duct tape on it and bury it. WTF!! I did not respond and feel this is another example of poor workmanship. I had already had cut it off and glued a cap on it not fffn duct tape and buried it. Back to my question on payment?

Like I said earlier, the installer should cover the cost of basic 1" wide x 6" tall tile. If you choose from a different set of selected tile, the cost delta should be paid. I would pay for the pool in full.

Its likely to cause the least resistance on his part.

Its less than legal fees because to hold back contracted dollars for poor performance is tough to justify.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, can someine please help!!!!! I had a guy by the name of ED Mara come installed my fiberglass taj mahal shallow shape pool, he left my pool unleveled at about 5", what can I do? I have been calling pool companys and noone wants to reset it or level it out for me. this guy is a scam artist, I found many reports on him and will be taking him to court. Can someone please advised on what I should do? the middle side of the pool looks like it sunk in a bit and the shallow end is about 5" off. Please help, this has been a nightmare.

I understand what you are going through and you are right about it being a nightmare. What state do you live in? Has the deck been poured yet? Is he licensed? If he is you can file a complaint with your states licensing bureau and they will notify him, do an inspection, and possibly yank his license unless this is corrected. You can also go after his bond. The lawyer will get $$ so its best to find someone willing to fix it if he jerks out. He may not have much to go after either so be careful. As hard as it is to do I have found that you have to educate yourself on the setting and backfilling of these pools and watch over them if you can.

I am waiting for the state inspector to come out and do an inspection and the contractor is not very concerned which makes me hot. The bench has a sag of 1.25" on my pool. There is a company called River Pools which gives excellent info on how it should be done.

http://www.riverpoolsandspas.com/blog/bid/30220/7-Deadly-Sins-of-Fiberglass-Pool-Installations

Keep us posted as to how it's going. I will too.

• 4 weeks later...