1995 Hot Springs Sovereign Not Working

suerphmt

Hello: I would really appreciate any help from the great people that helped me in with my leaking light in this 1995 hot springs sovereign hot tub. Someone told me how to fix the light that I had been quoted $800 to repair and I was able to do it for around $125 myself. Thank you so much!

My 1995 hot springs sovereign started making a gravel sound in the motor compartment months ago when we would turn on the air. The sound greatly diminished and we used the air sparingly only after we added chemicals at the end of each soak. Now, the only way it will turn on is to push the reset button and then it will only stay on for a couple minutes.

Any ideas? I suspect it might be that motor that handles the air finally quit..

I'll see if I can send some pictures of the motor compartment.

Hello: I would really appreciate any help from the great people that helped me in with my leaking light in this 1995 hot springs sovereign hot tub. Someone told me how to fix the light that I had been quoted $800 to repair and I was able to do it for around $125 myself. Thank you so much!

My 1995 hot springs sovereign started making a gravel sound in the motor compartment months ago when we would turn on the air. The sound greatly diminished and we used the air sparingly only after we added chemicals at the end of each soak. Now, the only way it will turn on is to push the reset button and then it will only stay on for a couple minutes.

Any ideas? I suspect it might be that motor that handles the air finally quit..

I'll see if I can send some pictures of the motor compartment.

Those motors do not handle air, only water. The small one is the circ pump that pushes water through the heater. The large motor is your jet pump.

John

Which pump is making the noise?

I'm guessing the small, 24hour circ pump. It's the one that runs in obscurity, pushing water over the heater. When it fails, the heater will overheat in just a couple of minutes, and trip the red button, labled "heater high limit" on the control box. If the label has fallen off, it's the red button furthest away from you. The other red button is the spa high limit.

When the large jet pump is energized (by pushing the "jets" button), the heater is automatically turned off by the control box, and thus will not overheat.

It's normal for the that pump to make a rumbling noise as it dies.

If the large jet pump is making a rumbling noise, and sounds like it has rocks in it, clean the filter thouroughly.

thank you so much for your response. I did clean the filters and even have a spare set I put on it. I wish I knew which item made the noise and I think I have two problems. Several months ago the gravely noise would only happen when the jets were turned on. Otherwise, it heated fine and was quiet. Finally, one day last week every thing suddenly stopped and will not reset. I suppose it is the circ pump and we can replace that I guess for around $200. I have been pricing the jet pump and it is almost $700. Is the jet pump something that can have the bearings repaired (would that be the noise?) or are there some that are "reconditioned" that a person could buy? Since it is a 1991 spa, I don't want to put a fortune into it.

Now, the only way it will turn on is to push the reset button and then it will only stay on for a couple minutes.

Don't just clean the filters to troubleshoot- remove them, but place the filter standpipe cap back in place.

Also, a bad jet pump will not trip trip the heater high limit.

So far, you've described two issues:

1) While the jet pump is energized, you hear a "gravely" sound

2) The spa will trip one of the red high limit buttons after a couple of minutes (The heater high limit or spa high limit? The heater high limit is closest to the water)

Try turning the heat all the way down, and the high limit should not trip. Unplug the circ pump, and turn on the jet pump. Does it still make unusual noises? Now plug the circ pump back in- noises?

Thank you for your helpful response. I took the filters off and put the cap back on each. I lturned the heat way down, then looked at the reset buttons closely. The button marked "heater reset" was kicked off (closest to the outside), and after I pushed that in, I could hear the circ pump (small pump in the picture) humming softly and I could feel a small vibration that it was running when I touched the outside. It has been about 15 minutes. The other button said "tub reset " and as far as I know, it has not kicked off. As I am writing I went out and checked and the circ pump again and quit running but didn't kick off the either button that I can tell. The circ pump was very warm to the touch. Also, I noticed that the hose leading up and over the other things right above that was quite warm. I looked at the heater control and I guess I didn't get it all the way turned down (sorry). Now, nothing will turn on and the buttons don't make it come back on either.

An update on the testing. I let everything cool off and then the heater reset button would reset the system. I made sure the heat was way off this time. I'll let it run a while to see if it keeps running. I also unplugged the circ pump and turned on the jets. The jet pump made a small gravely sound then ran fairly quiet. I guess it must be the circ pump?