Need New Pool Sweep

Rocks911

I have a Polaris 360 that is 3 years old, this summer would be it's 4th year to sweep the pool, unfortunately it's DOA. I dont want to go on and on about this but let me just say that this Polaris 360 unit is pretty bad. They have designed obsolescence down to an art form.

Is there a better make/model that will give me more reliable service for a longer period of time?

I do not have a separate booster pump, this unit works from the pressure of my main pump.

Maybe the Pentair? I think I would like a 4 wheel model to eliminate the falling over and running on it's side that the Polaris does.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

The Legend II is what you are looking at in the Pentair.

If your Polaris is falling to its side, the float likely has cracked and filled with water. Its a cheap part, maybe $12. Sure bears hundreds for a new sweep.

Scott

A common problem with those units is that they are dependent on a certain amount of flow to operate properly. This is always changing because the filter gets dirty(over time)and the flow to the Polaris continues to decrease affecting the performance.

I'm afraid that you may not be satisfied, unless you get a unit that operates with a booster pump. Those are good units, as long as the consumer is vigilant about monitoring the flow, and are also willing to monitor the wear on the unit. Something not all consumers are willing to do, so, thats one reason why there are units that have a booster pump to ensure that the flow rate to the unit remains somewhat constant. But wear is still something you need to monitor in all units

I have never had a problem with pressure. I have a 2 1/2 HP pump and it has always provided enough pressure, always. I have replaced the drive belts and the float. The unit lays on its side and the wheels dont rotate. I checked that the drive belts are working by pulling the unit out of the water and manually rotating a wheel. All the wheels turn when I manually rotate the one wheel, in other words the drive belts are fine and all the wheels turn. When I drop it back into the pool it lays on its side at the bottom. The pressure is more than adequate so it's not that the unit isnt receiving enough pressure to drive it.

Any ideas?

I adjusted the Jandy valve wide open that diverts to the Polaris and it currently reads about 25-28 psi and I pulled the Polaris out and the wheels are turning but not as fast as they should and with darn little power. When I put it back in the pool the unit has just enough power to drive it into a wall where it stays until the backup valve dislodges it from the wall and then the cycle starts again, the unit drives to the wall and stays there until the backup valve dislodges it. Just not a lot of power. It seems like its a pressure/power thing but why would this suddenly become a problem after doing just fine for 3 years?

I'll have to do a wheel rotation count when I warm up, because it is coooooold outside.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with pool clown. First let me defend the 360. It's a great cleaner, as is the 280, and both the legends, the atv, and the navigator. I could go on, but lets resolve your problem!

You said you adjusted the jandy valve and the pressure is 25-28, this means you have the little bucket filter that filters debris before getting to the wall fitting screen, right? Now let me ruffle some feathers... If you have a wall screen, remove it. IMHO, the filter bucket does a great job filtering the water, however, it lets slightly larger debris pass that will plug up your wall screen. Why remove it??? Because the debris that gets past the bucket filter will flow all the way throw the polaris without problems. But wait... Make certain that your filter bucket filter (it has a more technical name, I just can't think of it now) is clean and free of tears or holes. If it appears worn, replace it!

Back to pool clowns suggestion! I completely agree that you likely have a plugged line in your cleaner. It is also possible that the nozzle is missing from your tail, or it has a large hole in it reducing the flow to your paddle wheel. Often times your local pool store (ryhmes with messy and starts with an L ;-) will fix your cleaner for parts only. Now the parts are marked up to cover the cost, but if it's a plugged jet they should easily find it and give you your cleaner back free of charge :-). Cleaners are EXPENSIVE. Booster pumps are expensive and not energy effecient!!! Repairing your broken cleaner is cheap in comparison, and again, it's a good cleaner.

Calibrating the cleaner is easy! The wheels should turn 28-32 times a minute, that's it, no gauges to buy! Your cleaner should run ??? I believe 2 1/2 mins and then back up for 30 seconds. It is also possible your back up device is not turning off (and causing your cleaner to lay on it's side) because it too has debris in it!!!

Thank you for posting your problem before replacing your cleaner, I hope we have been helpful!