First Time Buyer - Pricing Help

jbihun

I am first time buyer in the midwest. I've never owned a spa before but have the perfect area on my patio for a spa. I've had an electrician out and I am ready to go. I found the spa I think I like but here's the issue, I have no ideal if the price quoted was a good one. Here's the details:

Hotspring Vanguard Spa

Spa cover

Steps

Cover cradle

silver ion cartridge

a bunch of chemicals

labor and delivery

subpanel

List price $12,260 unit price $11,100 + plus tax

I can't tell if this was a good price. I tried to contact other dealers up north but no reply. I suggested to the dealer that I can delivery it if need be and he said he'd knock off 2K. That seems outrageous when I live about 1 mile away from the store where they have the actual unit in stock and sitting there. How can I comparison shop? How do I know I am not getting ripped off. I told him give me the 2 K off with delivery and we are done. He didn't like that.

Any helpe would be appreciated.

I am first time buyer in the midwest. I've never owned a spa before but have the perfect area on my patio for a spa. I've had an electrician out and I am ready to go. I found the spa I think I like but here's the issue, I have no ideal if the price quoted was a good one. Here's the details:

Hotspring Vanguard Spa

Spa cover

Steps

Cover cradle

silver ion cartridge

a bunch of chemicals

labor and delivery

subpanel

I can't tell if this was a good price. I tried to contact other dealers up north but no reply. I suggested to the dealer that I can delivery it if need be and he said he'd knock off 2K. That seems outrageous when I live about 1 mile away from the store where they have the actual unit in stock and sitting there. How can I comparison shop? How do I know I am not getting ripped off. I told him give me the 2 K off with delivery and we are done. He didn't like that.

A hot tub delivery costs the dealer MAXIMUM 200 dollars if its less than a mile away. Maybe more like a 100 dollars. I would tell him to take off at least 1800 and include delivery. If he doesnt budge then find a different spa to buy. He is taking you to the cleaners otherwise.

Hotspring Vanguard Spa

Spa cover

Steps

Cover cradle

silver ion cartridge

a bunch of chemicals

labor and delivery

subpanel

Be careful with picking it up. It could void your warranty. The price isn't too outrageous, depending on how many chemicals you are getting and the brand of steps. Try asking for another $500 off.

I believe the Hot Springs contract with the dealer requires him to deliver to keep the warranty.

No matter what spa it is you buy, have the dealer deliver it, because it is his tub until it hits the ground in your back yard, and any warranty issues regarding installation are not going to go favorably for you.

Your dealer paid about $6500 for that Vanguard wholesale, MSRP at Hot springs dealers is about 115% of the purchase price wholesale.

Don't pay too much, Hot Springs used to be exceptional spas, and demanded a higher price because of it, but that was years ago, now they are no better than Dimension One, Marquis, or Sundance.

Any dealer who charges too much for a spa will also pillage you for repairs.

Ask about trip fees for warranty work, find out about out of pocket costs to fix spas.

I believe the Hot Springs contract with the dealer requires him to deliver to keep the warranty.

No matter what spa it is you buy, have the dealer deliver it, because it is his tub until it hits the ground in your back yard, and any warranty issues regarding installation are not going to go favorably for you.

Actually thats not accurate. While I agree with you that the delivery is best left to the dealer, if a customer really wants to pick up the spa himself from the dealer and they come to an agreement where the customer will take care of delivery himself that does not invalidate the warranty nor will we use that in the future against the customer unless of course the delivery goes wrong and damage is done by the customer while delivering it.

I do cringe a little with the idea of customers picking up the spa themselves as a general rule but if they have the tools to get it done and the delivery is fairly routine then thats for the customer and dealer to work out the details.

Your dealer paid about $6500 for that Vanguard wholesale, MSRP at Hot springs dealers is about 115% of the purchase price wholesale.

I'm just going to say thats a pretty inaccurate number. I think its best if people avoid throwing out numbers of their competition as if that had the inside info.

Don't pay too much, Hot Springs used to be exceptional spas, and demanded a higher price because of it, but that was years ago, now they are no better than Dimension One, Marquis, or Sundance.

Hot Springs has been an exceptional spa brand for many years and continues to be IMO but if your point is others are as well thats fine. I'm not one to use the term "best" and I certainly recognize others have a formula on how to build a spa and service them and the customer and I wouldn't disrespect those other brands you mentioned.

As far as not paying too much, that’s everyone's desire and I'm all for it. The customer should speak with whatever dealers he's seen and not be afraid to bargain to get a good deal just like we all do when buying a vehicle.

Any dealer who charges too much for a spa will also pillage you for repairs.

Ask about trip fees for warranty work, find out about out of pocket costs to fix spas.

You have to get to know your dealer. The price you pay really won't tell you what kind of service you'll get down the line so I agree and yes, always discuss things like trip fees up front.

I'm sorry, but $11,100 is too much for a Vanguard in any market stateside... The $9100 delivered with the options/extras you listed would be much more reasonable. Spa Guru raises some legitimate concerns. If the dealer is charging you $2K for delivery, what's he going to charge for maintenance calls? Even as a Hot Spring owner myself, I think I'd start shopping the competition, if the dealer isn't willing to be reasonable! FWIW, I paid just under the $11,100 figure for a 2010 Grandee with ACE, the Uprite lifter and Everwood steps, as well as startup chems and delivery.

The issue is there's a small amount of dealers here in town. The Great Escape sells spas but not sure I liked their Ecco line. Jacuzzi is an alternative but what model and what's the expectation on price there. I wanted the Hot spring because I liked it but the dealer has not replied since I said 9100. Any other recommendations that would be similar in quality and feature to the Hot spring?

The issue is there's a small amount of dealers here in town. The Great Escape sells spas but not sure I liked their Ecco line. Jacuzzi is an alternative but what model and what's the expectation on price there. I wanted the Hot spring because I liked it but the dealer has not replied since I said 9100. Any other recommendations that would be similar in quality and feature to the Hot spring?

You could take the crazy 2k off for skipping delivery and find an independent guy deliver it for you for about 250 probably.

I'm going to say this about Hot Springs, they went above and beyond my expectations on how far a dealer should go to make a customer happy. I really don't wish to hijack your thread, so I will just say I had a issue with my Limelight Spa (made by Hot Springs). My Hot Springs dealer was nothing short of outstanding getting the problem fixed and making sure I was happy. I live in a decent sized city and had lots of choices when it came to a Spa purchase. I am VERY happy I bought from Hot Springs.

I will say that $2k for delivery seems outrageous. My dealer didn't charge me anything.

Come to think of it... I purchased a car last year and had it delivered by car carrier from another state... it only cost me $250.

Are you sure he is charging $2,000 for delivery? That doesn't seem right to me unless you live like 4 states away or something. Does that include setting up the power? Depending how long the electrician has to run copper line to hook up your sub panel. It could very well be above $2000.

Its probably not delivery, he likely was trying to defend against the threat of me buying from someone else as I proposed. The issue is the price is too high and they are not negotiating. I want a hot spring but won't get worked over to get one. I'll look at alternatives.

Where are you in the Midwest? If Northeast Il or Southeast Wi there are a number of different dealers of multiple lines around. I researched and tested many spas in this area, without an excessive amount of travel. If in a different area I apologize for butting in, but if in this area, I can let you know where I had gone. (I'm only guessing as you mentioned Great Escape, and I know there's one in Gurnee) Good luck in your search and decision making.

Im a big fan of hot springs but I think that is a little high. I think the usually go for $9500 to slightly over 10k but like someone else said if that includes running electric and hooking it up it might be pretty close. I think hot springs is ONE of the best because they have a lot of features other tubs don't have. But different tubs fit different needs and wants. . But you have to like your dealer because they're taking care of all the warranty work. I highly agree with everything hot spring ace said also.