Sell Or Move

nuts2uiam

We have a July 2008 purchased Hot Springs Envoy. Love it- no problems at all. Here are the questions. We are relocating from Long Island, NY to Delaware in the fall of this year. We are very happy with it and would buy another if we don't take it. We have been told we "might" get $3500 for it if we sell it. Considering it was just shy of 10k when purchased that makes us cry thinking about a new one. How well do they survive moving? How costly is it to move? Are we better off to just bite the bullet, since it will be out of warranty in July of 2013? Who would we contact to move it? It weighs 750 dry and the regular movers said it could go on their truck, but I don't know about that idea. Thanks for the answers in advance. ;)

We have a July 2008 purchased Hot Springs Envoy. Love it- no problems at all. Here are the questions. We are relocating from Long Island, NY to Delaware in the fall of this year. We are very happy with it and would buy another if we don't take it. We have been told we "might" get $3500 for it if we sell it. Considering it was just shy of 10k when purchased that makes us cry thinking about a new one. How well do they survive moving? How costly is it to move? Are we better off to just bite the bullet, since it will be out of warranty in July of 2013? Who would we contact to move it? It weighs 750 dry and the regular movers said it could go on their truck, but I don't know about that idea. Thanks for the answers in advance. ;)

I would move it if it were my spa vs selling and rebuying. It should survive the move fine.

HotSprings in general survive moving. Mine has been moved at least 5 times, and is still ok.

If you are selling your old place, the spa might be a good bargaining chip in the sale.

I would move the tub. Our Grandee moved fine the one time it was moved. If properly moved you should have no issues. You will be lucky to get 3500 if you sell. If you plan on keeping the tub make sure it is not visible when the house is listed since many will request in an offer the tub stays. In this case you will get nothing additional. The tub for many will be appealing but don’t be fooled into believe it will be a bargaining chip like someone mentioned. I would only leave a tub if I did not want/use it any longer or it was problematic. In your case since you plan on having a tub in your next home your best bet is to move it. As soon as it is moved it is wise to get it filled and up and running sooner than later to keep seals from drying out.

I would move the tub. Our Grandee moved fine the one time it was moved. If properly moved you should have no issues. You will be lucky to get 3500 if you sell. If you plan on keeping the tub make sure it is not visible when the house is listed since many will request in an offer the tub stays. In this case you will get nothing additional. The tub for many will be appealing but don’t be fooled into believe it will be a bargaining chip like someone mentioned. I would only leave a tub if I did not want/use it any longer or it was problematic. In your case since you plan on having a tub in your next home your best bet is to move it. As soon as it is moved it is wise to get it filled and up and running sooner than later to keep seals from drying out.

I agree and have talked to relators on this. If you leave it they will either not want it and tell you to take it or they'll ask that it remains without giving you anything or anything worth noting. Its not a bargaining chip for you IMO so if you plan to have another tub at your next place then you're best off taking it with you. Its a quality, hearty tub that usually makes the move fine, especially with it being fairly new like this one.

Thank you one and all. We did not have the permits for the tub which require electrical certification in addition to the fees for the permit and the certification. So this is how it set up. We were undecided if we should move or sell or store the tub. Moving runs about $500 and storage about $50 a month and then we would have to pay to have it moved back here from storage. Again, finding a buyer maybe $3500 or so or move with us. Once we put the House on the market we don't know how long it will take to sell, so that means depriving us of the use of the tub and paying moving and storage. So we decided to bite the bullet and have it legalized by permits/certification. Still less than the cost to move it and we can enjoy it until we leave.

Once the house is on the market, it will be sold with the hot tub excluded unless they insist and make us a great offer. Pools and hot tubs are the wrong things to hang your hat on when you want to sell a house - you are so right.

I feel much better knowing that it will move well. :rolleyes:

My gut feel it that showing your house for sale with the Hot Tub will help you sell the house. When people talk about houses they looked at they will remember yours as the one with the Hot Tub. They may or may not want it, but still makes your house have something that other do not have.

When I bought my Hot Tub it was from a couple that sold it before the house went on the market. They were moving from Ohio to Texas and the house they werer buying had a pool and a Hot Tub so they didn't want to move it.