Adding Sanatizer After Use

WuhWuzzat

I've read that it's recommended here to add your sanatizer after exiting the tub(I use chlorine). Should one leave the cover open and pumps circulating for a while or is safe to just add the chemicals and close her up? Does having a 24-hr circ pump have any impact on this?

This is in to regards to normal maintenance level additions after a soak - NOT shocking.

I would certainly have the circulation pump running so that the chlorine mixes in the water thoroughly. As for leaving the cover off, if this is right after a soak and you are then adding chlorine then it's a good idea because most of the reactions of chlorine with ammonia in your sweat and urine occur in the first hour after you add the chlorine and will outgas some chloramine by-products, though just keeping the cover off for 10-20 minutes should help. It is not essential, but might help reduce the rate of degradation of the hot tub cover. Probably more important is to take off the cover for about 5-10 minutes before you get into the spa to air it out since there will be a buildup of some volatile organics.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply chem geek, although I was afraid you would say that. My main concern, as you mentioned, is the potential degradation of these expensive hot tub covers. In a perfect world I would certainly leave the cover open for plenty of time to air out the outgassing of the chloramine by-products, but the reality is I live in a cold weather climate(New England) and it kills me to leave that cover open any longer than absolutely necessary. Im in the tub every evening, so watching dollar bills float outta my tub 20 mins longer each night after adding bleach adds up quickly. Perhaps this is one of those pay me now(heat loss with cover open) or pay me later(new cover every 2 years) :angry:

I add bleach to our spa right after we get out. Our spa has a "clean" button on the control panel that runs the jet pump for ten minutes. I push the "clean" button, pour the bleach into the strainer basket and close the cover. The cover is six years old and is still in great shape. Out gassing may be damaging the inside of the cover, but if it causes me to have to replace the cover in eleven years instead of twelve years, that's OK.

Dave

Most cover damage occurs due to over-sanitation. And it can happen quickly.

I've always used Dichlor in my personal spa- and always vent the cover for a few minutes when doing routine after soak adding- and leave it uncovered for 30 minutes when shocking.

My 3 year old cover still looks new.

Out gassing may be damaging the inside of the cover, but if it causes me to have to replace the cover in eleven years instead of twelve years, that's OK.

I think your example of 11-12 years is extreme, but my concern is not over losing a year or so out of the life of my cover. It's serious degradation I'm concerned with.

Most cover damage occurs due to over-sanitation. And it can happen quickly.

I've always used Dichlor in my personal spa- and always vent the cover for a few minutes when doing routine after soak adding- and leave it uncovered for 30 minutes when shocking.

My 3 year old cover still looks new.

Thanks for the feedback. A couple minutes seems reasonable. I had been just adding bleach and closing it up immediately. I think I'll try your aproach.

From what I have read, (here and other places) the real danger for this is after a strong shock. In your case just a few minutes with a pump or two running will suffice I am sure. From the water testing I have done after adding sanitizer, especially bleach, it reacts VERY fast. Just my .02, I would definitely listen to the pro's here, and you know who they are. (not me) LOL