1996 Sovereign Won't Heat Up

MorrisPB

Hey everyone, thanks in advance for any help that you can provide. We're renting a place with a 1996 Sovereign Hot Springs hot tub that we use 3-4 times per week. Over the weekend I turned off the breaker, drained and cleaned the tub, then filled it back up and powered it back on. The jets work, but the tub just won't heat back up. I have (three times now) hit the reset button on the little black box next to the heating coil and the coil heats up, but then it seems to turn off and the tub just doesn't heat up. Our landlords replaced the coil two years ago, but I think that the heater is pretty old. Any and all advice on what we can do to get it working would be tremendously appreciated.

Sounds like it has the original - old style heater with the manual reset. These have since been replaced with the "Power Down Reset" heater that no longer requires a manual push of the button to reset a heat fault. Is the red power light blinking?

My guess is that one of your Thermistors is bad. There are two wires coming out of the top of your heater that plug into the control panel. Each one of these wires is attached to a threaded plug that screws into your heater and there is a rubber O-ring ensureing a tight seal when it is screwed all the way in. You buy these parts online for about $15 ea. If it were my spa, I would order the new PDR heater at approx $250 and two new thermistors for $30 and I bet problems will be solve for many years to come.

Maybe your landlord will view it the same way as he won't be getting so many "service calls" from his tennants! :)

Sounds like it has the original - old style heater with the manual reset. These have since been replaced with the "Power Down Reset" heater that no longer requires a manual push of the button to reset a heat fault. Is the red power light blinking?

My guess is that one of your Thermistors is bad. There are two wires coming out of the top of your heater that plug into the control panel. Each one of these wires is attached to a threaded plug that screws into your heater and there is a rubber O-ring ensureing a tight seal when it is screwed all the way in. You buy these parts online for about $15 ea. If it were my spa, I would order the new PDR heater at approx $250 and two new thermistors for $30 and I bet problems will be solve for many years to come.

Maybe your landlord will view it the same way as he won't be getting so many "service calls" from his tennants! :)

Check for good circ pump flow (Small, silent 24 hour circ pump that runs almost in obscurity)

The original 1996 heater did NOT have a reset button, and instead the spa incorporated a flow switch (separate from the heater) as a redundant overheat protection device. If there's not adequate flow, even if the filter is a little dirty, the spa will not heat. It's OK the "jump" the flow switch now that a PDR heater is installed.

I agree that it sounds like a flow problem.

One thing that doesn't sound right is when you mention replacing the element. Is there a chance that this tub is older than 96 and uses the square-flanged heating element with 4 screws in it? Or maybe it still has the original 1996 cartridge heater and the tech replaced the element in that instead of upgrading to the PDR.

I am going to sit back and read and let the more experienced guys provide advice. Sorry for jumping in when I shouldn't have - I know just enough to be dangerous as I have been lurking here for some time and am in the process of rebuilding two Hot Springs spas but have no experience with Pre-99 tubs.

Again - sorry for jumping in.

Love this board and the help provided by the pros.

Dave