Freezing Protection

arf1410

OK, lets try what I hope is a non controversial topic!

We are leaving on vacation for 2 weeks in late December, typically the coldest [art of the year in the Seattle area. However, in a typical year, the coldest nights get into the 20s, and every 5 years, I would guess we see the teens.

My water will be ready to be changed in another month, so my first thought was to drain and power off while gone. However, I am not motivated to blow or suck out the remaining water from the pipes, and according to the local spa dealer there is typically 10+ gallons left in the pipes after draining. So, would my original plan set me up for serious risk of freezing in those pipes? Should I just leave it on as normal (maybe in economy mode, and 80 degrees?) and drain and refill when I return? Or am I safe to drain and turn off?

We are leaving on vacation for 2 weeks in late December, typically the coldest [art of the year in the Seattle area. However, in a typical year, the coldest nights get into the 20s, and every 5 years, I would guess we see the teens.

My water will be ready to be changed in another month, so my first thought was to drain and power off while gone. However, I am not motivated to blow or suck out the remaining water from the pipes, and according to the local spa dealer there is typically 10+ gallons left in the pipes after draining. So, would my original plan set me up for serious risk of freezing in those pipes? Should I just leave it on as normal (maybe in economy mode, and 80 degrees?) and drain and refill when I return? Or am I safe to drain and turn off?

Do not drain it. In your weather the only freeze issue you could have is if you drained it and left some redisual water in the lines to freeze.

Leave it alone until you get back and then drain/refill.

Leave it run. See if you can have a buddy check on it a couple times while your gone.