Question: Shocking With Bleach

K.Cool

I am using the three step bromine system, and once a week shock with bleach. Is there a "target" PPM of bromine that I should be aiming for when shocking? I'm heard it said that "over ten" is good, but I've heard other numbers like 15 ppm, 20 ppm, or even 30ppm.

In the past I have simply poured in about 8-10 oz of bleach for my 300 gal of water, but it occurred to me that I may be using too much, resulting in more time running with the cover off trying to get the levels back down. If I can use less bleach and less electricity I am all for that.

Today when shocking I added 6 oz bleach, and came up with 15ppm of bromine. Is this enough for shocking, or should I be going for more PPM?

15 ppm should be fine.

I am glad to see this as I am doing the same thing. Only thing is is takes longer than I like to get the Bromine back below 10 ppm. I like it around 4-5 normally. I know hydrogen peroxide will bring it down (right?) but how long does the high level need to stay high to do its job? If I let it go till the next day (12-16 hrs) is that long enough to shock? Last time I used 8 Ounces of bleach and the Bromine was at 18 the next day still.

THX

IF the bromine is staying very high for a long period then you probably don't need to shock as often. Normally the level should drop in a day or less. Also, take out the floater when you shock.

Thanks Waterbear. I do not have a floater, the Altamar has a compartment on the door that floats in front of the filter. I could remove the tabs. I appreciate the reply. I will cut back on the amount and see if that helps. I am usually the only one in nightly and maybe two people weekly is all. Maybe I am being to aggressive.

Waterbear;

I went ahead and shocked the tub (as I do every Sunday) this time I used much less bleach. I added about 3 ounces followed by two ounces of renew, and run one pump and the air pump for 30 minutes. After that I tested with my Taylor kit and the Bromine was 13.5 PPM. Is this sufficient for a Shock? If so I like the lower Bromine number. I left the Bromine tabs in the container as usual to have the same conditions as last time. Only thing I did different was use 3 ounces VS 6 ounces of bleach. Water has been crystal clear and all other numbers are withing range.

As both waterbear and I have been saying, you don't need to shock unless you find it necessary to keep the water clear. If you raise the bromine level and don't find it dropping quickly, then you probably didn't need to shock. If you find the water stays clear without shocking, then don't shock. Maintaining a sanitizer level is more important and adding additional oxidizer after heavier bather-loads is the only minimum maintenance required. Remember the adage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

If you really want to shock but don't want the bromine level so high, then just shock to a lower level which is what you did this time. Don't overthink this.

Thanks guys. I was under the impression we should shock weekly. My tub has been staying clear. Only once it got slightly cloudy but I let the bromine tabs get dissolved and had a bromine level of 1 ppm. I will not shock unless I have some indication to do so. I keep enough tabs to maintain 3-5 PPM and it has been very easy so far. Thanks again.