To Shock Or Not To Shock.... Or Maybe Even When To Shock?

Bob Sanders

Mr. Sanders, your ignorance is showing. Not only am I familiar with the Canadian regulations that chem geek pointed out to you I am also very familiar with the EPA regulations in the US and the various heath department regulations in several states and the AVPMA regulations in Australia and the DIN standards in Europe. You sir, obviously, are not.

Perhaps you would like to change feet now. I am sure the one currently in your mouth is getting a bit soggy.

Perhaps you need to stop posting for a while, start reading the forum, and then asking some intelligent questions as to why certain things are said here that are out of your experience range. You might actually learn a thing or two.

You don't seem to understand that it is not my knowledge and experience that is being talked about. I've already admitted SEVERAL TIMES NOW that I have very little experience when it comes to discussing things directly related to spas.

Oh I do understand, yet in several threads you have tried to come across as an expert and have argued with with experienced professionals on everything from spa chemistry to electrical board repairs and pump problems (to the misfortune of some posters asking serious questions about their spas, IMHO!) Are you ready to go back to every one of those threads you have posted in and state that you have little experience when it comes to discussing things directly related to spas?

I thought not!

Perhaps it is time for the troll to go back under his bridge.

Speaking of trolls, you might want to look up Dalehileman in the Urban Dictionary. He was an actual member on this forum until he was banned. (He's been banned from many forums, not just here.) IF you don't believe me then just look at his profile. Perhaps you, too, can get your own page in the urban dictionary if you keep it up. Oh sorry, too late. Already three entries because of the NFL player with the same name!

I agree with you that a primary reason for stores not to carry the more accurate, comprehensive and expensive test kits is that they aren't as popular, mostly due to their extra expense and time for the tests compared to test strips. However, there are tens of thousands of pool and spa users on multiple forums who consistently report horribly inconsistent and inaccurate results from test strips.

I don't need to see a link for that believe me. I've seen first hand with the hardness test. One test strip from one company sees the water with a TA of 50 while the other sees it as 250. That's one of the reasons I bought a K1001 kit.... to see how accurate the chlorine measurements are on these strips.

Thank you for pointing out a more detailed set of Canadian regulations... I was looking for that

I don't need to see a link for that believe me. I've seen first hand with the hardness test. One test strip from one company sees the water with a TA of 50 while the other sees it as 250. That's one of the reasons I bought a K1001 kit.... to see how accurate the chlorine measurements are on these strips.

The free chlorine tests are not bad on most strips if they are using syringaldazine. The biggest problem is that the resolution of the test is too broad a range with not enough resolution. However, TC tests are a bit problematic and often use DPD (as do some FC test strips) and can suffer from bleachout just like drop based DPD tests and have the same problems with resolution. Other strips use a copper/OTO reagent for TC tests. However, all these tests are colormetric and therefore prone to errors in reading since the development time and lighting can and will affect the final results. The superiority of FAS-DPD is that it is NOT a color matching test. It is a drop counting test (same as TA and CH tests) with a definitive color change that can even be read by those that are colorblind. The reason you do not find better test kits in Canada is simple. The master distributor for Taylor has set the Canadian prices MUCH higher than prices in the US so you are stuck either paying the price or using an inferior testing methodology. Sucks to be you!

Mr. Sanders, your ignorance is showing.

Well I surely hope so. That's why the questions do you not get this??

Actually no since you have tried to come across as an expert and have tried to discount everything that has been posted to try and educate you. You like to argue with people that ARE expert based on the experience of your one spa. It almost seems that you are trying to impress people and you aren't. If you truly wanted to learn you would have a more receptive mind and a different attitude (and I don't think you would have made close to 4 posts a day in just 2 weeks). I think you just want your ego stroked.

Is that clear enough for you?

You still haven't answered me if you still want me to honor your PM about deactivating your membership (that you sent to me during the week you you on Moderator preview and couldn't post freely without a Mod approving the posts--a true sign of an internet forum troll). I wlll be more than happy to!

Here is an example of how you are now backpeddling on your earlier posts such as this:

You say measuring CC is important. Well how come Health Canada doesn't say that. They clearly mention free chlorine and the fact that one should follow the instructions on the given labels but they say nothing about CC.

and then:

Thank you for pointing out a more detailed set of Canadian regulations... I was looking for that

WTF??????

Maybe you need to be a bit more receptive to some of the expert info on here when it is first posted and learn when to keep quiet because you are getting tiresome.

You are not an expert and you need to stop posing as one or going by the 'expert info' that you are getting from the one spa dealer you frequent. I know nothing of this dealer and he very well could be an expert but I strongly suspect that you do not understand what he is telling you completely. (Is he the one that sold you the new ozone generator, btw? If so what was his profit margin?)

The reason you do not find better test kits in Canada is simple. The master distributor for Taylor has set the Canadian prices MUCH higher than prices in the US so you are stuck either paying the price or using an inferior testing methodology. Sucks to be you![/font]

Now you're an expert in Canada/USA trades?

The price for EVERYTHING is higher in Canada so I'm not at all sure what your point is?

Actually no since you have tried to come across as an expert and have tried to discount everything that has been posted to try and educate you.

If that's your opinion then hey... I'm fine with it. It's simply easier to say that then try and point out again that there seems to be a great many different opinions amongst you experts.

You still haven't answered me if you still want me to honor your PM about deactivating your membership

Yes... I did.
Here is an example of how you are now backpeddling on your earlier posts such as this:

Not backpedaling at all... just trying to be polite and avoid further confrontation. If truth be known however, one pamphlet is for pools in Saskatchewan (which has nothing to do with Manitoba.... different Province) and the other is a set of regulations for PUBLIC pools and spas. These regulations do not apply to privately owned residential hot tubs.

Actually no since you have tried to come across as an expert and have tried to discount everything that has been posted to try and educate you.

If that's your opinion then hey... I'm fine with it. It's simply easier to say that then try and point out again that there seems to be a great many different opinions amongst you experts.

Lol, he's 3 for 3 on acting like a "tool"/know-it-all in the 3 threads he started. He starts the thread asking for opinions on a subject and then argues with multiple people who have years of experience on the topic. I'm starting to believe "Bob" is just someone screwing around. Good entertainment!

The reason you do not find better test kits in Canada is simple. The master distributor for Taylor has set the Canadian prices MUCH higher than prices in the US so you are stuck either paying the price or using an inferior testing methodology. Sucks to be you![/font]

Now you're an expert in Canada/USA trades?

The price for EVERYTHING is higher in Canada so I'm not at all sure what your point is?

Not backpedaling at all... just trying to be polite and avoid further confrontation.

Wow, those two quotes by you both from this thread sure seem to be at odds! If you are trying to avoid further confrontation you are failing miserably at it!rolleyes.gif

My point is that I DO know about the exclusive distributorship that Lowry and Associates has in Canada on Taylor test kits, know that they set the Canadian prices, and know a major Canadian retailer of Taylor test kits personally.

Wanna try again?

Unlike you I actually have industry experience, contacts, and knowledge of more than just my own hot tub (and in case you haven't figured it out yet, since you seem a bit slow at times, one of my main areas of expertise is in water chemistry and testing. And not, I am not affiliated with Taylor, or any other company for that matter, at the present time.)

Wow, that foot must be pretty soggy by now! Be careful or you will have halitosis of the big toe and athletes tounge!laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Oh, btw, I am not dealing in opinions but in verifiable facts! Just because Health Canada does not mention that CC needs to be tested it does not alter the basic chemistry of chlorine when used as a sanitizer in a hot tub. Also, just because the tub is residential and not commercial or that the tub is in a different location it also does not alter basic chlorine chemistry, which is what we WERE trying to help you with.

The chemistry of chlorine is a fact and it is documented if one only cares to do the research. It is not an opinion or something that is open to interpretation. It is basic chemistry! Some of the more knowledgeable on here were trying to help you with that. Oh well, you are on your own now. Have fun!

Getting back to your ORIGINAL QUESTION about shocking. You were told why to shock and when to shock but then said that Health Canada doesn't mention CC for residential spas. Guess that means you don't need to worry about shocking, right? No worries.

Guess we can close this thread now since you have your answer!