Need Advice On Replacing Air Blower

kozmo

We had a pressure test done on our spa. After this was completed we noticed that when running in spa mode the water from the spa jets comes out very still. No air at all. We can't be sure, but we seem to remember there was some air coming out in spa mode, even without the blower on. So, we switched the blower on and it will not come on. A few questions;

- Does the blower allow some air into the water in spa mode, even when it's not on? Or is there something else potentially wrong.

- Is it likely that the blower was damaged by the pressure test?

- Is a blower fairly easy to trouble shoot and fix, or is it better to just spend $125 and buy a new one?

- If replacing, is this a DIY job? It doesn't look terribly complicated and I am semi-handy.

Appreciate the help!

Replacing a blower is reasonably easy. Use screws, not glue to hold it to the pipe! They don't come threaded.

Run the spa mode for 15 minutes. I'll bet there is just some water in the air line and it needs time to be drawn in. Spa jets typically have some venturi effect and while not particularly strong, especially if the blower is some distance and a check valve is in place, may take a while to evacuate the water from the air loop and feed line. Air line check valves are very lightly sprung.

Scott

Thanks Scott. We've run the spa in spa mode for many hours and that hasn't solved the "no air in the jets when the blower is not on" problem. I'm not exactly sure how the spa air/blower equipment works or where a check valve would be located. My blower is about 40 ft from the spa and sits straight on top of 3" PVC pipe coming out of the ground. There are no valves that I can see on the PVC. Would the valve be in the blower?

It would sit just below the connection to the air line pipe. I may be an opaque unit 3" long or a just a flanged disk between the pipe and blower, often hidden from view, with a piece of rubber on the bottom that would seal the port to prevent water from being sent up the pipe and into the blower motor. It may not even be there.

I suggest you remove the blower and shoot air from a shop-vac down the pipe for a minute or two. If the air comes out the jets, you are likely OK.

If the air only comes out one or two jets, plug them in the spa. The added pressure should clear the others.

Scott