Watkins No Fault Heater - Should It Feel Warm To The Touch?

shapiror06

I have a 2003 Hot Springs Prodigy. After being set up and plugged in for about an hour, and the temperature set to 104, the stainless tubes on the heater do not feel warm to the touch. I can feel that the pump is on, and I can feel the water moving through the heater tubes. Is this normal? Should I let it run longer? I have little/no electrical knowledge and do not know how to go about testing the heater. Any tips would be fantastic, before I blow $300 on a new heater!

• 2 weeks later...

I can say that on my 95 grandee, which has the new "No Fault" heater installed on it, if I fill the tub and the water's in the 60-70's and I run the heater, put my hand solidly over the second metal tube of the heater, I can feel it is warm and after a few seconds if I am making good contact with it, it might even begin to be too hot to touch. I was curious when I wired it up, so I used my volt meter which can measure amperage draw and separated the wires and saw that it was sucking [x] amps when on and 0 when off, so I knew it was working. It is a piece of cake to test if you have the right meter, you do it with the shielding on the wires, but you separate the green/white/black and test them individually (not packed together, it negates it).

I can say that on my 95 grandee, which has the new "No Fault" heater installed on it, if I fill the tub and the water's in the 60-70's and I run the heater, put my hand solidly over the second metal tube of the heater, I can feel it is warm and after a few seconds if I am making good contact with it, it might even begin to be too hot to touch. I was curious when I wired it up, so I used my volt meter which can measure amperage draw and separated the wires and saw that it was sucking [x] amps when on and 0 when off, so I knew it was working. It is a piece of cake to test if you have the right meter, you do it with the shielding on the wires, but you separate the green/white/black and test them individually (not packed together, it negates it).

The new PDR heater shouldn't feel hot to the touch. Some may have a small "hot spot" in them, if they're slightly flawed, or have hardness build-up, but typically, it should only a degree or so over ambient, which isn't noticeable with your hands.

If you can feel a hot spot on that heater that is that hot to the touch, you have problems beginning in that heater.

John