Do Chemicals Need To Be The Same In Hot Tub And Pool

dee

Hi I currently use bromine as a sanitizer in my hot tub and this summer we have plans to put in a pool. Should I be switching my sanitizer to chlorine in my hot tub also? If people swim in chlorine and then use the hot tub will it have a bad reaction with the bromine? Any info would be appreciated as I would like to make the switch beforehand if need be.

Hi I currently use bromine as a sanitizer in my hot tub and this summer we have plans to put in a pool. Should I be switching my sanitizer to chlorine in my hot tub also? If people swim in chlorine and then use the hot tub will it have a bad reaction with the bromine? Any info would be appreciated as I would like to make the switch beforehand if need be.

The small amount of bromine carried into to the pool by bathers that are in the hot tub should not have any negative conswquences. You could convert the hot tub to chlorine. Many people succcessfully run chlorine tubs. They tend to have less of a chemical smell and are less expensive to maintain.

If you decide to stick with bromine in the tub I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. The worst that can happen is it can create a bit of a temporary chlorine demand in the pool. Sodium bromide is used in chlorine pools as an algicide, besides being used to establish a bromide reserve in the water of a bromine spa on each refill.