Time For A Water Change?

kateyc61

Hi all! Haven't been here in a good while, mostly because things have gone pretty seamlessly with the spa operation.( In good part because of the great advice I got from everyone here back in October)

In any case, we purchased a Dimension I spa with the Vision and ozonator, filled it and the 4 of us (two kids, two adults, occasional friends ) probably using it 2-4 times per week (down from daily when we first got it)

It continues to be lovely and clear, smells great, and is staying easy to balance if it's a little off in the ph dept or what have you.

Now it's been 4 months...is there some parameter that will say "change the water now!"

Or is it Ok to leave it be if all looks and tests well?

The PPM is creeping up a bit, probably a bit over 100 if I trust the chart color--I think I remember that being a marker?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi all! Haven't been here in a good while, mostly because things have gone pretty seamlessly with the spa operation.( In good part because of the great advice I got from everyone here back in October)

In any case, we purchased a Dimension I spa with the Vision and ozonator, filled it and the 4 of us (two kids, two adults, occasional friends ) probably using it 2-4 times per week (down from daily when we first got it)

It continues to be lovely and clear, smells great, and is staying easy to balance if it's a little off in the ph dept or what have you.

Now it's been 4 months...is there some parameter that will say "change the water now!"

The PPM is creeping up a bit, probably a bit over 100 if I trust the chart color--I think I remember that being a marker?

What sanitizer are you using? (unstabilized chlorine can probably go longer between water changes then either bromine or stabilized chlorine) PPM stands for parts per million and is a measurement. On which water chemisry parameter is the ppm 'creeping up a bit'? Some, like total alkalinity, can be adjusted. Others, like calcium hardness or cyanuric acid in a chlorine system, cannot without draining.

100 ppm cyanuric acid (CYA) is a marker of when a commercial pool will be closed in most states. it is WAY to high for normal operation or either a pool or spa. In fact many state health departments recommend that spas contain 0 ppm CYA. IMHO, 30 ppm would be the top limit for a spa before either draining and refilling or switching from dichlor to unstabilzied chlorine.

If your talking PPM of TDS (total dissolved solids) moving 100 from where it started is not to bad.

If your water is clean and sanitized there is no real set peremiter to changing water. I like fresh water so change mine every 3-4 months. I call it sluggish water and you will know what I mean once you do change your water. No matter how clean your water is, and it is fine to let it go for a while more if it is not convienient to change it out, but you will enjoy fresh water much more.