Sudden Cloudiness

I went in the pool last night and it was perfect, I had a mask on and I could see from one end of the pool to the other, clear as day.

The filter was off during the night, we have been having 90 degree weather lately.

I got up this morning and the pool still looked great at 8am.

I started the filter, and mixed up some shock and algaeside and dumped it into the pool and then added a little "quick clear"..Just to stay ahead of the warmth and algae.

Then almost immediately the pool went cloudy...I went to work figureing it was from all the chemicals and that it would clear up in a couple of hours.

My wife called at 5pm and said the pool was still cloudy.

What could cause this???

I plan on running the filter all night tonight to see if it will clear, but could something be wrong with my filter??/ (sand filter) It has been running with no problem lately.

Or is it that I put to much chemicals in and it will take awhile, I put in half a scoop of chorine, probably 4-5 oz of the algaecide, 2 oz of "quick clear" and a little shock.

Any suggestions

thanks

Barry

I generally do not test my water, too much chemistry-invovled.

For the past 11 years my test kit consisted of a underwater mask and my nose. ( if I can't see across clearly, I do something about it)

And have had excellent luck,

...with running the filter thru the night it is clearing up, I think I put too much chemicals in.

Here are my chemicals:

Quick Clear

1200 Corporate Dr.

Burlington, ON L7L 5R6

Canada

ACCU 50 Algaecide

95 Hathaway Center

Providence, RI 02907

Active ingredients:

n-Alkyl (60%C14, 30%C16, 5%C12, 5%C18)

dimethyl benzyl

ammonium chloride........................................49.8%

n-Dialkyl (60%C14, 30%C16, 5%C12, 5%C18)

methyl benzyl

ammonium chloride......................................0.2%

INERT ingredients.........................................50%

SUPER SHOCK

109 King Philip Rd

East Providence, RI 02916

Active ingredients:

Sodium Hypochorite.....................12.5%

Inert Ingredients.............................87.5%

And of course HTH chlorine granuals

Thanks

Barry

the fact that we do not have any idea of the water balance in your pool means that we cannot help you. Maintaining a pool has nothing to do with luck. And it seems that since yours went cloudy (which should not happen) your luck has run out. I also saw your post in another forum and they basically told you the same thing. You are using cal hypo (HTH granules) so I suspect your calcium is high. If your TA and pH are also high then it would explain the clouding.

Be aware that your nose and mask will not tell your pH nor if your water has enough sanitizer residual to keep the water sanitized and safe nor will it tell your if your clouding is from an algae bloom, the type of algaecide that you use (linear quat), bacterial bloom, precipitation of calcium carbonate (scale) from water balance being off, or other reason.

BTW, mixing algaecide of the type you use with sodium hypochlorite breaks down the algaecide and uses up the chlorine so it really is not doing much good at all. It is better to shock first, let the chlorine drop and then add the algaecide (and polyquat 60 would be a better and longer lasting choice than a linear quat which can irritate eyes, foam, cloud the water, and generally is not that effective.)

Good luck to you but we really cannot help you.

the fact that we do not have any idea of the water balance in your pool means that we cannot help you. Maintaining a pool has nothing to do with luck. And it seems that since yours went cloudy (which should not happen) your luck has run out. I also saw your post in another forum and they basically told you the same thing. You are using cal hypo (HTH granules) so I suspect your calcium is high. If your TA and pH are also high then it would explain the clouding.

Be aware that your nose and mask will not tell your pH nor if your water has enough sanitizer residual to keep the water sanitized and safe nor will it tell your if your clouding is from an algae bloom, the type of algaecide that you use (linear quat), bacterial bloom, precipitation of calcium carbonate (scale) from water balance being off, or other reason.

BTW, mixing algaecide of the type you use with sodium hypochlorite breaks down the algaecide and uses up the chlorine so it really is not doing much good at all. It is better to shock first, let the chlorine drop and then add the algaecide (and polyquat 60 would be a better and longer lasting choice than a linear quat which can irritate eyes, foam, cloud the water, and generally is not that effective.)

Good luck to you but we really cannot help you.

waterbear is a wise man you should listen to him