What's all the fuss about ozone?

Guest SpaShopper

Out of curiousity, if you are adding ozone after the fact, are you at a minimum, adding a mixing chamber to keep the ozone in contact with the water longer before releasing into the spa shell water where it will rise immediately to the surface and be of no use? I would think an OEM design from HS would include that. I'm not sure aftermarket does. Chas - can you comment further to help this person? I would see little reason to add it otherwise, but could see a benefit from getting an OEM system if the OEM system includes more than "just an ozonator".

I can only speak to HotSpring, Tiger River and Caldera on this one. Caldera puts an ozone system on all but it's lowest level tubs. Those tubs are ozone ready and can have a system added.

HotSpring and Tiger River tubs all come ozone ready, and the unit can be added at any time.

What these tubs all have in common is a 'contact chamber' which is a length of spa flex. Spa flex is schedule 40 PVC pipe, but flexible. And it has a spiral built in which works in your favor in this application, causing a perfect suspension of the ozone for maximum contact. The length of this tube varies from model to model, but its between 10 and 14 feet from what I have been told. I have seen this being plumbed, and it is rather a long bit of tubing - but wraps around the footwell area once, burried in the foam to keep it toasty warm and as close to flat level as can be to avoid clumping of the air bubbles and gurgling noises.

The power outlet is already in place, the contact chamber is already in place - all you have to do is clip out a section of vinyl tubing in the motor compartment for the injector just where the decal says "cut here for ozone," mount the generator unit where that decal says to, and then plug in the little ozone connector tube which is already hanging in the motor comparment for you.

That doesn't surprise me - Sundance is always copying HotSpring.

KIDDING!!

But in reality Del most likely makes a similar ozone for the major brands.

I can only speak to HotSpring, Tiger River and Caldera on this one. Caldera puts an ozone system on all but it's lowest level tubs. Those tubs are ozone ready and can have a system added.

HotSpring and Tiger River tubs all come ozone ready, and the unit can be added at any time.

What these tubs all have in common is a 'contact chamber' which is a length of spa flex. Spa flex is schedule 40 PVC pipe, but flexible. And it has a spiral built in which works in your favor in this application, causing a perfect suspension of the ozone for maximum contact. The length of this tube varies from model to model, but its between 10 and 14 feet from what I have been told. I have seen this being plumbed, and it is rather a long bit of tubing - but wraps around the footwell area once, burried in the foam to keep it toasty warm and as close to flat level as can be to avoid clumping of the air bubbles and gurgling noises.

The power outlet is already in place, the contact chamber is already in place - all you have to do is clip out a section of vinyl tubing in the motor compartment for the injector just where the decal says "cut here for ozone," mount the generator unit where that decal says to, and then plug in the little ozone connector tube which is already hanging in the motor comparment for you.

That's a great and informative explanation. I hope it helps many considering ozone. Thanks.

If I add Ozone to my dichlor routine, what reduction in chemicals should I expect? I'm only using about a teaspoon of dichlor after each soak and shock with three or four once a week. I do notice that I have to add a teaspoon of dichlor on most of my off days though--keeping 3ppm of Free Available Chlorine. Will ozone help on my off days? Also, does ozone help minimize foaming?

Chas is right. It would take me a few years to make up the difference in chemicals. Is there a published report on the benefits of ozone? I would like to see an actual case study comparing chemical useage with and without ozone. Can someone point me to a link regarding this topic?

• 5 weeks later...

This series of exchanges on ozonators is very helpful. If I may I've a question. Our spa is a Hot Springs Classic 220 V purchased in May of 97. It has an ozinator, and I believe it is a CD unit.

For some time I have not smelled any ozone. From the discussion I gather that since my ozinator runs 24/7, circulation always on in the 220V spas, it would be time to replace it. If this is true, what do I replace and can I buy it on the web?

Thanks in advance.

That doesn't surprise me - Sundance is always copying HotSpring.

KIDDING!!

But in reality Del most likely makes a similar ozone for the major brands.

This series of exchanges on ozonators is very helpful. If I may I've a question. Our spa is a Hot Springs Classic 220 V purchased in May of 97. It has an ozinator, and I believe it is a CD unit.

For some time I have not smelled any ozone. From the discussion I gather that since my ozinator runs 24/7, circulation always on in the 220V spas, it would be time to replace it. If this is true, what do I replace and can I buy it on the web?

Thanks in advance.

There is a chip (like a small computer chip) inside the CD Ozone unit. It plugs into a little socket. Units vary so I am being general here. If your familiar with the unit and the inside of your spa it is an easy fix. Unplug the unit from the control panel discconect the hose at the check valve and bring it to your work bench or dealer.