Frog System

bridges

I have a hot tub with a built frog system. I'm having a hard time keeping the water clear with this system, I always end up with a little green tint to the water. I shock it twice per week. One thing I did notice from reading this forum is that a sodium bromide pouch should be added to a new fill up, maybe this is my problem?

Is there a better system, like using brom tabs and would it be cheaper and easier to run?

Thanks for any advice!

How long would the brom tabs last? I change the brom frog cartridge once a month and the other every three months. The brom cost about $9. a cartridge and the mineral is about $20 for a cartridge.

My wife and I use the hot tub four or five nights a week for 20mins at time.

Thanks.

How long would the brom tabs last? I change the brom frog cartridge once a month and the other every three months. The brom cost about $9. a cartridge and the mineral is about $20 for a cartridge.

My wife and I use the hot tub four or five nights a week for 20mins at time.

Thanks.

I also dumped my Frog system in favor of the Bromine floater. Mine wasn't built-in, though. It was the dual cartridge floater. Personally, I only keep 3 tabs in my bromine floater at a time and that lasts me about 2 weeks (spa not used as much as yours, though, because we're still under construction on the surrounding gazebo). I was also having water clarity issues when using the Frog. The water became much clearer after switching to straight bromine tabs (with periodic bleach shock). Do you have a good test kit? If not, get the Taylor kit for bromine (K-2106 I believe). Follow the 3-step link above and you'll be glad you did.

By my calculations the frog is over 4 times the cost of 3 step bromine. Your frog is $180+ a year. I get my bromine from spadepot.com. 1.5 lbs for $10, which will last me almost 3 months. Magic beans are worth more than the mineral cartridge as you have found out. If you want to improve the feel of the water and lower sanitizer demand add borates. 20 mule team borax in the luandry isle for less than $10, Combined with $10 of dry acid and this will treat your tub for over a year or two. Also I add pool salt to 1000 ppm and my water feels great and has never been cloudy with 3 step.

The taylor test kit is worth the money. Cheaper than test stips in the long run and it will save you chemical warfare with your tub. Also bleach is cheaper and better than MPS for shocking. The MPS with drop your PH and throw off your test reading for a few days. Hope this helps.?

• 1 year later...

Those Frogs are a huge ripoff. I modified mine (inline) to enable refilliing with tabs. I just put tabs in both cartridges, the mineral one is nothing but snake oil, dont waste your money. Instructions to modify them are at this link http://www.duggity.com/node/415095 It's very easy to do.

You will save money and clean up the environment since the cartridges are not recyclable.