Replacement Cover From Costco.com

Tom 715

I'm thinking about ordering a replacement cover for my 2002 Hot Springs Prodigy from Costco.com. The main reason is they have a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. Has anyone bought their cover and does it sound like a good deal at $319 shipped.

Thanks

What is the foam density? I'd be worried I'm getting a 1# density cover which will raise my utlility bill. Covers routinely last more than 3 years so that "bumper to bumper" warranty doesn't wow me.

Shop your other choices and compare, the best deal often isn't the one with the lowest up front cost.

I'm thinking about ordering a replacement cover for my 2002 Hot Springs Prodigy from Costco.com. The main reason is they have a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. Has anyone bought their cover and does it sound like a good deal at $319 shipped.

Thanks

What is the foam density? I'd be worried I'm getting a 1# density cover which will raise my utlility bill. Covers routinely last more than 3 years so that "bumper to bumper" warranty doesn't wow me.

Shop your other choices and compare, the best deal often isn't the one with the lowest up front cost.

Not much detail on the Costco website or the ordering web site.

Meets all ASTM safety standards

Rugged 30 oz. marine grade vinyl top

Tapered Virgin Foam Insulation: 4" - 2": Allows moisture/rain/snow to drift off the cover eliminating a “pooling” issue that many flat covers encounter

6 mil double-ply poly-laminate underneath

Exclusive moisture lock heat seal

Sturdy, four layer hinge

#93 Dacron Polyester, UV thread throughout

Super-strength recessed handles

37 different stress point reinforcements

20 gauge steel, non-corrosive reinforced center bar

Locking, extra strong tie-down straps

Cold crack tested down to -20F

Hidden zipper design and corrosion resistant

Mildew and UV inhibitors

Grommeted drain holes

Premium commercial grade skirt with custom made split corners to seal the heat in and protect shell

Warranty: 3 year (bumper to bumper). NON-PRO RATED.

DK117

Thanks

Not much detail on the Costco website or the ordering web site.

Meets all ASTM safety standards

Rugged 30 oz. marine grade vinyl top

Tapered Virgin Foam Insulation: 4" - 2": Allows moisture/rain/snow to drift off the cover eliminating a “pooling” issue that many flat covers encounter

6 mil double-ply poly-laminate underneath

Exclusive moisture lock heat seal

Sturdy, four layer hinge

#93 Dacron Polyester, UV thread throughout

Super-strength recessed handles

37 different stress point reinforcements

20 gauge steel, non-corrosive reinforced center bar

Locking, extra strong tie-down straps

Cold crack tested down to -20F

Hidden zipper design and corrosion resistant

Mildew and UV inhibitors

Grommeted drain holes

Premium commercial grade skirt with custom made split corners to seal the heat in and protect shell

Warranty: 3 year (bumper to bumper). NON-PRO RATED.

DK117

Talking points look identical to: http://www.hottubworks.com/SpaCovers/SpaCoverFeatures.php

Here is something that was posted on another hot tub forum that mentioned Costco covers in the course of a longer thread about replacement covers in general:

"Nice to have shipping included. The specs don't say what density the foam is and a couple of reviews indicated that the purchaser wasn't expecting it to be so light. Some expected better quality construction but others seemed happy.

I googelled the phone number & came up with CORE Covers. I googled their address and came up with seven or eight businesses listing the same address which may or may not be a concern depending on the situation. Makes you wonder if they would be around for the three year warranty but on the other hand Costoc buyers like to point out that they can alwasy taek anything back.

I guess the questions may be, "Is this a three year cover for $320 or will it last longer? Would I be better off with a $400 cover that may insulate better and last 6-8 years?"

The foam density is 1 pound

In that case you're spending less $ up front yet pissing those "savings" away each month with a larger utility bill and in less than a years time you're upside down on that supposed great deal. That would be like choosing a winter coat because it sells for a cheaper price only to later find out it doesn't keep you as warm as the alternative.

Spend the extra for a better insulating cover with 1½# density foam (or better) and you won't be sorry.

Talking points look identical to: http://www.hottubworks.com/SpaCovers/SpaCoverFeatures.php

Hot Tub Works and Core Covers (the maker of the Costco cover) share the same address: 1559 Sunland Ave, Costa Mesa CA

Hot tub Works has a website that allows you to order a cover and enter info for size, color, foam density, etc. For a 7 x 7 4"-2" cover in dark grey with 1 lb density and 1 year warranty, their price is $299 delivered - they say this cover is "best for indoors". The same cover in 1.5 lb density has a five year warranty and is 329.99 delivered. Move up to 2 lb density for 349.99 delivered. Move up to the Ultra for 6"-4" cover with 1.5 lb foam for 464.99 delivered. The Works is 6"-4" 2.0 lb foam for 599.99 delivered. Could it be that the Coscto cover is the 1 lb cover with a warranty expanded to three years or the 1.5 lb cover with the warranty reduced to 3 years? It sounds like it may be the 1 lb foam with better waranty, but beware of the lower insulating qualities of 1 lb foam if you go that route. On the other hand if price is all that one cares about and wants to be able to take it back to Costco after a couple of years and get $ back (some have no qualms with this, unfortuantely I say as a Costco member)the Costco cover may be for you.

Just sharing this info for whoever is interested. Not trying to butter up the Doctor but that is where I will be going for my next cover.

Hot Tub Works and Core Covers (the maker of the Costco cover) share the same address: 1559 Sunland Ave, Costa Mesa CA

Hot tub Works has a website that allows you to order a cover and enter info for size, color, foam density, etc. For a 7 x 7 4"-2" cover in dark grey with 1 lb density and 1 year warranty, their price is $299 delivered - they say this cover is "best for indoors". The same cover in 1.5 lb density has a five year warranty and is 329.99 delivered. Move up to 2 lb density for 349.99 delivered. Move up to the Ultra for 6"-4" cover with 1.5 lb foam for 464.99 delivered. The Works is 6"-4" 2.0 lb foam for 599.99 delivered. Could it be that the Coscto cover is the 1 lb cover with a warranty expanded to three years or the 1.5 lb cover with the warranty reduced to 3 years? It sounds like it may be the 1 lb foam with better waranty, but beware of the lower insulating qualities of 1 lb foam if you go that route. On the other hand if price is all that one cares about and wants to be able to take it back to Costco after a couple of years and get $ back (some have no qualms with this, unfortuantely I say as a Costco member)the Costco cover may be for you.

Just sharing this info for whoever is interested. Not trying to butter up the Doctor but that is where I will be going for my next cover.

where did you get the 1 lb foam info?

Compare

Energy-Saving 4" 1.5 lb virgin foam

in our "Standard" outdoor cover

DK117

Compare

DK117

But that site is for covers you buy from that website, not for the ones we're speaking of.

We're talking about the ones they make for Costco. I had an electronic conversation with someone that I'm sure knows the answer to this and he stated that he knows wit 100% cerainty that the Costco covers in question are 1.0# density. It doesn't surprise me really because Costco looks for a price point and the easiet way to lower the cost of a cover is to reduce the foam density though its not good for teh consumer in the long range in this example.

Compare

DK117

But that site is for covers you buy from that website, not for the ones we're speaking of.

We're talking about the ones they make for Costco. I had an electronic conversation with someone that I'm sure knows the answer to this and he stated that he knows wit 100% cerainty that the Costco covers in question are 1.0# density. It doesn't surprise me really because Costco looks for a price point and the easiet way to lower the cost of a cover is to reduce the foam density though its not good for teh consumer in the long range in this example.

That sounds plausable, and you're probably right, I just don't see how a consumer would arrive at that conclusion. I'm also curious as to how other online cover retailers stack up. It seems there's an upgrade for everything so the initial price point is totally moot.

DK117