Hard Cover Failure

rfamily

Built a new pool last year in fall and installed a Latham Hard Cover.

Recently we got hit with over 14" of snow and noticed that the hard cover failed in a section of the pool.

Upon checking this out further I found the following:

a. The hook from the turnbuckle that goes over the spindle was broken.

b. Some straps was frayed and seperated from the hard cover.

It's my assumption the weight of the snow was too much for the hard cover. With that said the hard cover is resting on what I believe is the top of the water level which is now frozen. The rest of the cover and turn buckles seem to be still in tact. So with that said what if anything should I do or what other risks am I facing with part of the pool exposed to the elements. Unfortunately upcomming temps are to be subzero for a couple of days. Look forward to your thoughts and comments.

When you say it's a hard cover, was that literally a hard cover or did you mean a solid cover? A solid cover means it made of a waterproof/light proof fabric, typically fiberglass/rayon reinforced vinyl and polypropylene webbing/straps with springs on the perimeter attached to anchors set in the deck.

Not all covers are made the same! The less expensive brands up front aren't in the long run.

Solid covers typically need to have a cover pump to remove standing water that present a drowning risk and to have snow loads over 12" removed, especially in the middle, if the water below is not frozen enough to support it or if the water is more than 15" below the deck line.

If the spring let go, it can be replaced. If the straps/webbing are separating from the cover, it will need to go back in the Spring for repairs.

Scott