Mount Filter And Pump Underground?

DonLenhart

Just wondering...any pros or cons on mounting my pump and filter below the surface? I'm thinking of a brick or cement lined chamber with a deck-type lid over it. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Don

Southern Illinois

I assume being underground that the equipment would be below the water level of the pool. You would need to add check valves and ball valves to keep pool water from draining out. So the extra costs in valves would be a con. Another con would be, its tougher to re-pipe if necessary. You'd need to make sure you have good drainage because alot of water will be generated when you clean the filter, also you would have to drag the filter grids/cartridges up and down. Some pros would be, the equipment would be quieter, equipment would be protected from the sun.

As a poolman, I prefer the equipment aboveground, it's just easier to maintain and make repairs. GOOD LUCK!

Are you doing this for noise reasons? Just put the pumps in a vault. All the other equipment could remain on the surface, and be virtually silent.

And +1 on the drain. And if possible, drain to daylight so you don't have to rely on a sump pump to keep it drained. Power outages during the rain could get costly.

Thanks for the constructive replies, guys. The reason for going underground is for visual appeal. We don't have a lot of back yard...most of it is pool...and I don't like the filter and pump in full view.

I haven't studied the grade to see if I can get good natural drainage from that depth. It may need a sump pump...that would be a complication.

The alternative is to build a pump house. Any experience on that would be appreciated.

Don

Have no real design help other than heater needs to be vented or roof left open, and being able to access the equipment for service. Take into consideration head room needed to take the filter tank off (high enough to clear the filter element inside the filter tank. Some people make the side panels or walls come off for access. Roofs on hinges, side panels that slide like pocket, or closet doors. Things like that. If noise is not a concern, you could use something as simple as privacy or double lattice for the walls and/or roof.

There are "vaults" made specifically for subterranean installations, but they're always troublesome because no matter how well you seal it, there are always leaks, then your pump gets flooded & fails. Wiring & piping must enter the box & this is where the problems usually are. I've only seen it used in commercial properties with waterfalls which have nowhere to hide the pump, etc. My personal preference would be to find an out of the way spot & build a 4' screen fence, rather than the whole pump house, but you know your preferences better than I. Good luck!