Should I Upgrade To A Low-Energy Pump?

njmurvin

My electric bill is getting out of control. I have a 20+ year old pool with all the same vintage technology. The filter is a Purex (biggest one they made at the time - don't know the gal). It has a 2hp motor connected to a solid brass pump. I have replaced the motor a couple of times, but never to a low E version. My pool is average to small. It has a pretty big surface area (18x32) but averages only about 4ft in depth. So, I figure it has about 17k gallons. I have no heater and no spa. So, the pump is only used for filtration and it drives the pool sweep (which is an Aquabug - yes, it's an in-ground pool). My pool sweep is on its own suction line. I have a diverter that goes between the sweep line to the 2 skimmers. The main drain suction is blocked off at the skimmer. I have a very old-school mechanical Intermatic timer that turns the pump on/off every day. If I upgrade to a low-E pump, I'd prefer something simple where I can just manually set the speed/gpm and forget it. I don't need to worry about different programs for spa/waterfall/heater, etc. All I need is enough flow to turn over the pool every day and keep the pool sweep moving.

I am currently running the pump 3hrs/day. I figure that it is costing me about (3hrs x 2kw x 30 x $.31) = $55.80/mo to run the pool pump (during the winter). I probably have to double the run time during the summer.

Would it make sense for me to switch out the pump? If so, what brand/model fits my needs best?

I appreciate any input on this.

I would say a 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlow will be the right size and will cut your power bill dramatically. A 2 HP on this pool is absurd by todays standards. I don't see a need for a variable or 2 speed. Lets keep it simple.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

I would say a 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlow will be the right size and will cut your power bill dramatically. A 2 HP on this pool is absurd by todays standards. I don't see a need for a variable or 2 speed. Lets keep it simple.

Scott

Perfect!!! I love SIMPLE.

I would also recommend the Hayward ECO Star Variable Speed Pump. I just installed and it was really easy, plus it has it's own controller mounted on the pump or you can mount it on the wall (with the purchase of a cable). I run it for 1hr (to run my pool cleaner) @ 2500 rpms and that = approx. 1,000 watts, then I run it for 9hrs @ 1600 rpms = 200 watts, thats 2 light bulbs, and the pool cleaner still works. The result is i can run my system all day and still save money. Since all you need is to circulate you can run it at its lowest setting (600 rpms) for a long time, this will help in the summer months. The cost for the pump is alot more that a single speed pump but you'll recoup the costs over time. You said you're running your system 3hrs @ 2kw thats 2,000 watts, you could run the ECO Star longer @ 100 watts (light bulb)

Just for comparison to the above EcoStar, a 3/4 HP Whisperflo will use about 1600 watts. While this may be better than the 2 HP (2200 watts), you will save a lot more in energy costs if you go with a two/variable speed pump.

3 Hr/day with a 2 HP uprated pump is about 1 turn per day for a 17k pool so assuming one turn per day for each of the pumps:

Your current pump is probably using around 210 kwh/month

Single speed 3/4 HP Whisperflo would use about 176 kwh/month - 15% savings

Two speed 3/4 HP Whisperflo (25%/75% full/half speed) would use about 107 kwh/month - 49% savings !!

Variable speed EcoStar (25%/75% high/low speed) would use about 63 kwh/month - 70% savings !!!!

A 3/4 HP will NOT use 1600 watts, more like 1100, depending on the SF and hydraulics.

Hayward pumps, filters and heaters are at or near the bottom of my acceptable list along with Waterway. Pentair, then Jandy, top the list. It's just engineered better and last longer.

Scott

A 3/4 HP will NOT use 1600 watts, more like 1100, depending on the SF and hydraulics.

Hayward pumps, filters and heaters are at or near the bottom of my acceptable list along with Waterway. Pentair, then Jandy, top the list. It's just engineered better and last longer.

Scott

100 watts is still less that 1100 watts, which would you rather run for 6 hrs? In my opinion, Pentair, Jandy, & Hayward are all the same quality, they're all high end products and can't go wrong with any of them. I've installed the Eco Star and it was really simple the built-in unions on the suction/return openings are great and programming and use was really simple.

I have a Pentair IntelliFlo and when the solar is not on I run it at 26 GPM (1500 RPM) which uses 275 Watts of power in my rather inefficient system (has spring check valve and long pipe runs). For one turnover in my 16,000 gallon pool this would be 10.3 hours or 2.8 kWh so 85 kWh/month. The pump is not cheap, but I am so glad I got it since it also let me tune the solar system flow where I also save a reasonable amount, though most savings is with the low solar-off flow rate.

Scott

According to the California Energy Commission (CEC) measurement data with Curve-C, the 3/4 full rated Whisperflo uses about 1600 watts. But keep in mind, this is a 1.25 SFHP motor. If you assume 60% efficiency for the motor, which is typical of a lower HP motor, then the power draw at 1.25 SFHP would be 1.6 kw (1.25 * .745 / 0.60 = 1.6).

Even the 1/2 HP full rated Whisperflo uses 1200 watts with plumbing Curve-C.

Just for comparison to the above EcoStar, a 3/4 HP Whisperflo will use about 1600 watts. While this may be better than the 2 HP (2200 watts), you will save a lot more in energy costs if you go with a two/variable speed pump.

3 Hr/day with a 2 HP uprated pump is about 1 turn per day for a 17k pool so assuming one turn per day for each of the pumps:

Your current pump is probably using around 210 kwh/month

Single speed 3/4 HP Whisperflo would use about 176 kwh/month - 15% savings

Two speed 3/4 HP Whisperflo (25%/75% full/half speed) would use about 107 kwh/month - 49% savings !!

Variable speed EcoStar (25%/75% high/low speed) would use about 63 kwh/month - 70% savings !!!!

Fascinating...I have a suction type pool sweep with its own connection. With the variable speed set so low to save energy, will it drive one of these? Or, do I have to run it part of the time at a higher speed? I'm probably going to upgrade the sweep some time in the near future. Are there any models that are better than others at operating in these lower flow rate conditions?

I think most pool owners with two or variable speed pumps, including myself, end up running at higher speeds for at least part of the cycle. Low speeds are really only useful for filtering and water circulation.

My suction cleaner works well at full speed with solar (55 GPM) and partial draw from the skimmers but on low speed without solar (35 GPM), it moves very slow even if I put the cleaner valve to 100% cleaner.

With my setup, the pump runs on high when solar is engaged so the cleaner works well in that mode and will usually run 2-4 hours per day that way. Once solar shuts off, the pump steps down to low speed for circulation and filtering but the cleaner is not all that effective nor is skimming.

As for cleaners, the most efficient cleaner you can get is a robotic since it doesn't require the pool pump at all.