Is There Anyway To Add Sound To A Hot Tub That Isn't Designed To Do This?

PFC5

Is there any simple way to add some kind of cheap sound system to a hot tub never designed to have one? I thought it would be better than adding a boom box since the whole electricity & water issue while in a tub of water. lol

Are there after market sound systems that can be added?

If you want a 'cheap' sound system Walgreens sell portable battery operated AM/FM radios for $16, which sit just nice on the side of a tub. Not the greatest quality I know, but there again the neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate me having a 'quality' sound system on my tub.

And at that price I couldn't care less if it falls in the water.

I opted for Yamaha outdoor speakers. I bought 100 feet of wire and hooked them directly to my indoor surround system. I mounted them in the eaves to keep most of the weather off of them and they work great. It is really nice when I host a party because the same music is inside and out. Now if only I could afford a weatherproof monitor so I could watch the superbowl from the comfort of my tub.

During my initial hot tub search, some dealers -- including a tent show dealer -- said "icksnay" to adding a sound system. Reason = it generates too much warranty service. Water and electronics don't mix well.

By the time I got down to exploring Jacuzzi and Arctic, I didn't even get into that in my final search -- unless I bought one off the floor that had it, we weren't going to buy one with it.

I have yet to hook them up (wire them) but I have two Cambridge Soundworks outdoor speakers mounted on my fence poles. I will be doing either one of two things -- a) running them into a stereo unit inside the house, I have two or three old stereo units that work fine and I haven't used them in years -- OR ---

B) Putting a car radio / CD player in a waterproof container outside, along with a 13.8v DC wiring to a power supply inside the house.

Haven't yet decided but I think the first option will be what we do. I will likely be getting a "whole house anywhere" system so I can transmit internet-only services down to the stereo system, such as BBC Radio 2 and CBC Radio Two -- out there, as well as various computer-carried audio channels.

Interesting. I may work on a better way to add sound after my busy season and the thaw.

And it's gonna be awhile before a thaw... sub-zero F temps predicted -- it will be interesting to see if my Arctic holds the heat. It should.

Last year we really didn't have much of a winter here in eastern Mass. -- no real deep freeze periods, no snow (well, 14 inches, that's nothing).

I think we've had 50 inches thus far -- including 22 last week in one hit, 15 this week in two hits. And a three-day arctic blast ahead. And a potential "major storm" after the deep freeze ends. Next July I'll look out back and think about when the area was in the anvil of winter.

Yeah it looks like more snow coming on Tuesday but not sure how much yet. A lot of damn snow this year and my two sons are mad because they got a mini bike & a dirt bike for Christmas and with all this snow they cannot even ride them. At least their snowboards are getting a lot of use. lol

I bought one of these from Brookstone a few years back http://www.bzzagent.com/bzzscapes/scape/brookstone/brookstone-boom-bucket/

Has a huge rechargeable battery, remote, and keeps your IPOD secure so it won't get wet. There are waterproof buttons on the outside which will control the Ipod's functions.

Pretty decent stereo sound (not sure if its 100% waterproof but is water resistant.

I'm not sure if Brookstone still sells these, but I'm sure they can be hed for pretty cheap on ebay.

• 1 year later...

Update -- I finally figured out -- I hooked up wires to the speakers outside and ran them into the house. I ran them up next to a forced hot air duct, into our bedroom. I had an eight-year old stereo unit, just a two-channel thing. I put it there, and put the wires into it -- it works. I have stereo sound.

I also bought my wife an iPad for Christmas, and if we really wanted to, we could use that as an input to the stereo, so we can listen to BBC Radio 2, CBC R2, anything. I also have a Sanza Fuze I can plug in and play a custom music collection. So you can play quiet "hot tub" music out there.

And I don't have to worry about shock -- or electrical component damage. The speakers are weatherproof, everything else is inside.

I bought one of these from Brookstone a few years back http://www.bzzagent.com/bzzscapes/scape/brookstone/brookstone-boom-bucket/

Has a huge rechargeable battery...

I'm not sure if Brookstone still sells these, but I'm sure they can be hed for pretty cheap on ebay.

Yes, they still sell them. We love ours, bought for the Hottub 3 or 4 years ago, but also can go anywhere else (picnics, camping, etc).

I guess I just don't understand the desire to listen to music while sitting in the hot tub. I have great sound systems in my cars and a very good system in the family room. But I like the quiet when I'm sitting in the hot tub. Most of the time I don't even run the jets because of the noise. I like to lay back and look at the stars and enjoy peace and quiet.

I have outdoor remote wireless speakers on the patio that can play the same music as my home system. I can also play my mp3 player through them. I've used them once.

• 1 month later...

Well, we've been listening all through the "non-winter" of 2011-12. We are officially still in the "dead of winter" but it's in the mid-70s here F (around 23C for those Canadian-ly inclined).

Love the music. Why, when the summer comes, we'll even listen to the Red Sox games. In full stereo.

With the iPad plugged into the stereo, we get radio from anywhere. You could do the same with a laptop computer as well.