Two Top Sides On Balboa Vs500 Controls?

Takoma

In my old Emerald tub, which used Balboa controls, I had two top sides connected simultaneously. One was the normal one built into the spa and the other was on a long ribbon cable which ran under the deck (in conduit) into the house.

I loved the ability to remotely take a look at the spa temp and perhaps turn on the lights from inside in case a visitor was here and needed the lights on to see how to get in the tub.

I'm seeing two jacks on the VS500 controls (J1 & J2) and would like to know if anyone has experience with a second top side in these newer models.

Looks like one needs to be careful with control and top side model/version compatibility.

Thanks

The Spa monitor from Balboa does exactly what you have done minus the ribbon cable. You should check it out on their site.

Definitely looks like it would do the job. However, on their appnote section, under the Spa Monitor

http://service.balboa-instruments.com/appnotes/

it says "The Spa Monitor is compatible with the EL and GL Series of spa controllers."

I'm taking this to mean "NOT compatible" with the VS controller that I have. Am I reading that right or is my ignorance showing? :-)

Or are their docs out of date?

Also, any idea of the price tag? I'm seeing the monitor (P/N 534680) going for around $210 and the transceiver (P/N 54369) for around $120.

Since I can do wiring easily, I'm still wondering if a second top side would be cheaper and "better" in as much as it is hardwired vs. RF and won't need batteries.