Tim To Replace A 15 Year Old Tub

Takoma

Hello. We have an approximately 15 year old Cygnus/Emerald tub that has required one too many repairs and are looking for a replacement.

We're not looking for anything fancy, e.g. no sound system, no beverage coolers, no waterfalls, no fancy lighting, etc.

The current tub has a "captain's chair", a bench that curves around two sides, a two way lounger and a "cool down" higher seat. The layout has worked well for both our use as a couple and for entertaining, though we're open to ideas of other layouts.

I think what's most important to me is the overall quality and longevity of the product. We're in the Washington, DC area and the dealer we bought from no longer sells spas.

I've read some of the posts and concur that larger dealers that are well established and do a good volume are more likely to offer a good price and good service.

What are the "top five" brands these days and does anyone have any experience with dealers in this area?

Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Thanks

Hot Spring, Dimension 1, Jacuzzi, are a few of the "top" brands that have been around since the 70's...my advice would be to shop around and get a sense of who/what you are buying, make sure you wet test as many tubs as possible and do a little research on any prospective dealer you may buy from, check their BBB rating to make sure there are not outstanding problems the dealer is not taking care of, after all you want to get an idea of how you will be treated as a customer AFTER you write them a check, ask dealers plenty of questions such as: how long have you been in business? is all your service done in-house by trained techs, or do you sub-contract it out to any joe blow on craigslist? do you offer any type of guarantee like an energy guarantee on certain tubs, or a 12 month best price guarantee, these are just a few to give you an idea...good luck

Every brand has the fancy spas but they all have spas with less frills as well for those of us who get "wowed' by quality rather than bells and whistles. The key is to get a spa that will stand the test of time and be backed by a solid company. If I were looking for a list of 5 brands my personal short list would start with Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi, Marquis and Sundance. Take your time, get to know the dealer, wet test...

Hello. We have an approximately 15 year old Cygnus/Emerald tub that has required one too many repairs and are looking for a replacement.

We're not looking for anything fancy, e.g. no sound system, no beverage coolers, no waterfalls, no fancy lighting, etc.

The current tub has a "captain's chair", a bench that curves around two sides, a two way lounger and a "cool down" higher seat. The layout has worked well for both our use as a couple and for entertaining, though we're open to ideas of other layouts.

I think what's most important to me is the overall quality and longevity of the product. We're in the Washington, DC area and the dealer we bought from no longer sells spas.

I've read some of the posts and concur that larger dealers that are well established and do a good volume are more likely to offer a good price and good service.

What are the "top five" brands these days and does anyone have any experience with dealers in this area?

Thanks

Thanks

I've always considered Emerald as one of the best "value" tubs today. You got 15 years out of yours...cool. Any problems?

I've always considered Emerald as one of the best "value" tubs today. You got 15 years out of yours...cool. Any problems?

Sure.. We went through a heater and a pump over the years. The battery backup on the control never really worked well.

Finally we had a leak that couldn't be found and that "sealed" the deal.

So, in three posts, I'm not seeing Emerald as one of the top brands.. Guess I need to look at the other brands now.

I'd list Hot Spring, Sundance, D1, and Jacuzzi as my top 4 and not in any particular order. There are others that I've looked at, but they didn't compare, so I won't even name them. Some, like Marquis and Caldera have a good rep, but I've never been in one, never been to a dealer that carried them, and I know nothing about them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hotsprings, Sundance and Jacuzzi are fine hot tubs but also check out Arctic Spas. Well built spas, made to last, but in the end go with the spa you feel most comfortable in (remember to wet test) and the dealer who is most reliable and been in business for a good while.

To close out the topic:

I looked at Sundance, D1, Emerald and Artesian. I ended up with the Artesian Island Grand Cayman, 51 jet with dual "foot blasters".

Only time will tell how it holds up, but I liked the "standard" Balboa controls and the fit and finish.

To close out the topic:

I looked at Sundance, D1, Emerald and Artesian. I ended up with the Artesian Island Grand Cayman, 51 jet with dual "foot blasters".

Only time will tell how it holds up, but I liked the "standard" Balboa controls and the fit and finish.

Artesian makes a great tub. They make my top ten. Enjoy. I am sure you can hook a second topside to that control board. Problem will be extending the cable. You will have to splice, make sure you do it right(proper couplings and heat shrink wrap).