Backwash Hose Connection

jack in oz

I just had a new pool installed but I didn't have the filter backwash outlet connected to the sewer because the cost was prohibitive. It is legal where I live to discharge backwash water onto your lawn, but it's not good for the lawn.

There is a sewer inspection point near my filter. It's a 4" pipe with a screw on cap. I would like to discharge my backwash water into this pipe by using my pool vacuum hose. The problem is, I haven't been able to find a way of adapting the 2" backwash outlet to take the vacuum hose. Even if I could, I suspect that the pressure of the water would just blow the hose out of the adaptor. Maybe there are other hoses I could use with bayonet or screw fittings?

Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem?

The "p-trap" usually required by code is to prevent the backwash water from backing up into your home thru the toilet, tubs, sinks, etc. It would have to be changed if you ever sell the home. You could use the technique that PC recommended, but you may be taking a risk. I know many folks who backwash onto the lawn & have never suffered noticeable lawn damage, so I'm not sure where the harm is. You probably only backwash once a month or less. If your filter is DE, it can even be a small benefit is controlling some pests. DE for pools is not exactly the same as DE that is used as a pesticide, but it's very similar.

I think I'll go with PC's suggestion.

I don't intend modifying any of my sewer plumbing. I would simply remove the inspection cap, drop the hose into the pipe, backwash, remove hose and refit cap. No chance of backflow into house as the inspection pipe is well below the level of the house.

Thanks for replies.

Actually, the hose in the grass, while not legal everywhere, is better for the landscape, meaning the D.E., and/or the associated green goo. Let the Cl drop off a little before you pump. You would be surprised at the amount of Cl that comes out of the tap, Take a test of your water, and see what i mean!

When backwashing a DE filter, a separation tank should be used to collect the waste DE. Otherwise, DE can buildup and clog the lines that are being used for discharge.

hayward-de-separation-tank.jpg

http://www.poolcenter.com/separation-tanks-hayward-poolstor.htm

http://www.haywardnet.com/pdfs/replace_pdfs/162-163Hay2009.pdf

http://www.poolcenter.com/hayward-separation-tank-manual.pdf

A cheaper alternative to using a separation tank when backwashing to the yard, or other open area, is to use a filter bag to catch the DE. Nylon stockings make a good cheap collection filter.

You shouldn't use your vacuum hose for pressure. The vacuum hose is designed for suction and will be damaged by pressure.

My filter is a Tagelus sand filter. Does that use DE as well?

I think the salt is what's killing the grass.

No, you have a sand filter. It uses sand, not DE. IMHO, sand filters make salt pools a bit harder to maintain since the salt and CYA levels will drop a bit with each backwash so proper testing of both these levels is important on a regualr basis. My first choice for a salt pool is a cartridge filter. The only water lost then is from spashout (or a leak!ohmy.gif)

I had a choice between sand or cartridge. I went for the sand because I have vivid memories as a kid of having to clean black slime off the cartridge elements (maybe dad didn't use enough chlorine). Anyway, I now have a 600lb sand monster that isn't going anywhere, so I guess I'll have to get used to it!

Thanks for the feedback.

I had a choice between sand or cartridge. I went for the sand because I have vivid memories as a kid of having to clean black slime off the cartridge elements (maybe dad didn't use enough chlorine). Anyway, I now have a 600lb sand monster that isn't going anywhere, so I guess I'll have to get used to it!

Thanks for the feedback.

you made the right choice...cartridge filters are junk, unscrewing the band clamp, pulling out slimy filters, hosing them off and soaking them, attempting to re-tighten the band clamp without having the filter leak (good luck after a couple years) and of course every dealer wants you to buy a 2nd set of cartridges to pop in while cleaning 1 set...there's another few hundred bucks, etc. etc. a good sand filter with some "glass" media is the way to go (good ole .45-.55 sand still works as well), backwash once or twice a week, and every 5-10 years (depending on certain factors of course) replace the media, which anyone with half a brain and a shop vac can do for very cheap (assuming your using regular sand)

Thanks for the feedback.

you made the right choice...cartridge filters are junk, unscrewing the band clamp, pulling out slimy filters, hosing them off and soaking them, attempting to re-tighten the band clamp without having the filter leak (good luck after a couple years) and of course every dealer wants you to buy a 2nd set of cartridges to pop in while cleaning 1 set...there's another few hundred bucks, etc. etc. a good sand filter with some "glass" media is the way to go (good ole .45-.55 sand still works as well), backwash once or twice a week, and every 5-10 years (depending on certain factors of course) replace the media, which anyone with half a brain and a shop vac can do for very cheap (assuming your using regular sand)

Been a while since you cleaned a cart I guess. Most modern cart filters do not use the band clamp but have a locking ring or lid.

also, if the filters are slimy then the pool water is not being properly maintained and there is also biofilm in the pool.

And...

You should be more aware of climates across the country and that one type of filter is not the best everywhere. Where i'm from, you don't see many sand filters. Cartridge filters are predominately seen here. Because sand filters are junk? No, and it would be irresponsible for a pool professional to say that about a tried and true filter system. If your Cartridge filters are slimy, i suggest you clean them a little more often. And if you find it unacceptable for a pool guy to suggest an extra set of elements (a great idea by the way), you should learn the phrase "No thank you".

Try to remember that others read this, i.e. brand new cartridge filter owners. They don't need to be hearing inaccurate information about their filter, it makes our job harder when we have to talk someone off the ledge after they finish reading those posts.

Thank You.

And...

You should be more aware of climates across the country and that one type of filter is not the best everywhere. Where i'm from, you don't see many sand filters. Cartridge filters are predominately seen here. Because sand filters are junk? No, and it would be irresponsible for a pool professional to say that about a tried and true filter system. If your Cartridge filters are slimy, i suggest you clean them a little more often. And if you find it unacceptable for a pool guy to suggest an extra set of elements (a great idea by the way), you should learn the phrase "No thank you".

Try to remember that others read this, i.e. brand new cartridge filter owners. They don't need to be hearing inaccurate information about their filter, it makes our job harder when we have to talk someone off the ledge after they finish reading those posts.

Thank You.

Well said. You are a true professional and a credit to our industry!

Well said. You are a true professional and a credit to our industry!

Thanks, but naw, all it takes is an ability to learn, and a little common sense. Practical experience is the best training. Sure the classroom has its place, but you can't teach a products' "personality" anywhere but the field.

What were we taking about?