Time For A Replacement Cover- Suggestions?

Vermonter

"How does one actually know when to replace a cover? Mine is just over two years old and has slowly gotten heavier ... I assume the foam inside is taking up moisture. The vinyl material on the inside is also sagging. Other than that the outside looks fine. But it is getting awfully hard to lift it back onto the tub."

It's time! It's heavy because as you suspect, it's holding water. When that happens, it has lost most of it's insulating properties. A good spa cover will have a well sealed, heavy (thick), vapor barrier on the underside. The actual vapor barrier is usually covered with some sort of material to prevent damage to the barrier.

I asked my dealer why the cover only lasted 2 years, maybe what I could do to increase longevity. He warned me against adding chemicals with the cover closed ... that doing this would cause the plastic - foam seal to prematurely fail and then the foam takes up water. Well, that's probably what happened. In the beginning I dutifully left the cover off for a half hour when I added chemicals, but one time I forgot and left the cover open all night! From then on I left the cover closed. I'd rather trash a cover than a heater (and my electric bill).

How much is the chemical with the cover closed a factor? And do some of the double sealed covers offer better protection against chemical breakdown?

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

I am reviving this thread, because the cover on my 10 year old master spa causes the spa to smell like mildew/musty a day after i clean, treat, or change the water. I know it's the cover - because when the cover is not on the tub (and even when it's dry, it has that bad smell to it). Is there a brand that is known to avoid this mildew problem all together? I would even be interested in alternative cover styles, whatever.... I just don't want to waste anymore time with my tub smelling like mildew every time I use it....

Thanks,

Matt!

Hey all,

I am reviving this thread, because the cover on my 10 year old master spa causes the spa to smell like mildew/musty a day after i clean, treat, or change the water. I know it's the cover - because when the cover is not on the tub (and even when it's dry, it has that bad smell to it). Is there a brand that is known to avoid this mildew problem all together? I would even be interested in alternative cover styles, whatever.... I just don't want to waste anymore time with my tub smelling like mildew every time I use it....

Thanks,

Matt!

I know what you are talking about and that is a nasty sickening, smell. If the cover is still in decent shape, I suggest treating the underside of the cover with a bleach solution and if you can get the zipper open, get the bleach solution in between the vapor barrier and the bottom vinyl layer. If you get it open and the vapor barrier is gone or crumbling and you can see moisture on the foam side of the vapor barrier it is time for something new. People who have spas with working ozone systems generally avoid the stinky cover problem so investing in an ozone generator with your old or new spa cover just might do the trick. I believe a working ozone system can never be a bad thing no matter what else you do. Good luck and be careful with the chlorine bleach, Don

Thanks...

I have an ozone unit, but I don't think it's functional. Cleaning the lid will be a pain in the A**. I was thinking about scrapping the lid all-together and buying some sort of non-mildew-space-age lid..... If they exist. Know of any?

Starting new is certainly the easiest solution. Keeping whatever replacement cover you get clean and sanitized will keep the mildew away. Mildew seems to only appear when there isn't enough offgassing of chlorine or ozone gas which keeps the mildew from growing once it is introduced into the environment. So periodic surface treatment with a bleach solution just might be the ticket if you are always too light on the chlorine or don't have an ozone system strong enough to have extra ozone making its way into the airspace between the cover and the water. Non-mildew lids?? (Do some research on what mildew is and you will find that in the spa environment it will thrive on any surface if allowed.) Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

I got a new Solis spa cover before the snow started here in the northeast. Very happy with it so far. It is a 6" cover, and i got a full length steam stopper. It showed the performance in the snow we have had this winter. First of all, this is the first cover I have had in 20+ years that didn't have the snow melt along the fold--the steam stopper really works. Also, the snow didnt turn to mush/ice on top of this. Take a look at their specs-they claim mildew resistance and it includes double wrapping. There price was very competitive and service was fine. The following is from their web site. www.solisspacovers.com

PS: when we lost power for 16 hours with single digit temps, the spa temp only went down to 86 degrees from 102. The cover seems to do great.

ADDITIONAL FEATURES OF THE PREMIUM COVER MODEL INCLUDE:

* 6 to 4" taper/Thickness, 1.5 Lb Density Virgin EPS Polystyrene Foam Core (beware of recycled foam that breaks easily)

* Insulation Rating Exceeding R 25

* 20 Gauge Galvanized Steel C-Channel in Each Half (adds strength and support). For a limited time get two 20 gauge c-channels in each half for a total of four c-channel supports per cover FREE! That's 2X the support of a regular spa cover!

* TRUE 6 mil Vapor Barrier (Clear Guard System), Some Other Companies Claim They Use 6mil, So if the Price Sounds to Good to be True Your Probably Only Getting 1.5 mil or Less! . For a Limited Time Get the DOUBLE VAPOR BARRIER UPGRADE FREE!

* Premium "Spa Hyde" Vinyl (30oz per linear yd), 9 Color Choices, Chlorine and Bromine Resistant PLUS Treated with Mold and Mildew Inhibitors

* 10 oz.Double Laminated Spa Liner (underside of cover) NO MESH, Chlorine and Bromine Resistant PLUS Treated with Mold and Mildew Inhibitors

* Double Reinforced Hinge, Handles & Tie-Downs

* Extra Thick Steam-Stopper

* Maximum Weight Capacity 125 Lbs

* 5 year Warranty

ADDITIONAL FEATURES OF THE PREMIUM COVER MODEL INCLUDE:

* 6 to 4" taper/Thickness, 1.5 Lb Density Virgin EPS Polystyrene Foam Core (beware of recycled foam that breaks easily)

* Insulation Rating Exceeding R 25

This is INCORRECT! Based on ASTM standards, this cover would only have an R value of R-22

* TRUE 6 mil Vapor Barrier (Clear Guard System), Some Other Companies Claim They Use 6mil, So if the Price Sounds to Good to be True Your Probably Only Getting 1.5 mil or Less! .

I don't know what else to call this but a LIE. We were the first company to use a 6 mil Vapor Barrier,and continue use a 6 mil Vapor Barrier. We also make cover for a number of online retailers and use the SAME 6 mil Vapor Barrier for them.

* Premium "Spa Hyde" Vinyl (30oz per linear yd), 9 Color Choices, Chlorine and Bromine Resistant PLUS Treated with Mold and Mildew Inhibitors

This is the most blatant lie I've seen. "Spa Hyde" is a specific brand name and trademark of vinyl offered by RKB International. It's actually a lower grade of vinyl, as compared to some of the other vinyls some other companies use. It is NOT 30oz....more like 27 oz...It also has a lower, UV and pigment rating, than many other better vinyls.