Replacing A 25+ Year Old Pool Pump

Mark M

I have to change my 25+ year old pool pump. It's working but its just not efficient.

It's a Centurion B835 Its held on by 4 bolts to the basket. (see pics)

It seems simple enough to swap out for a new one. Is there anything too complicated that I'm unaware of?

Of course I'm looking for a 2 speed higher efficient pump. Most pumps seem to be attached to the basket.

How do I find a pump that will just bolt to my set up?

1049418949_w23tb-XL.jpg

1049418990_YJwES-XL.jpg

1049419031_bHsZJ-XL.jpg

1049419061_tzPtR-XL.jpg

1049419083_xRFFH-XL.jpg

Many would recommend replacing the whole pump, as well as your filter. The Anthony system you have was a good system in it's time, but efficiency and ease of operation have increased quite a bit in the past 3 decades. Newer pumps are far more efficient than the one you have and newer filters have increased efficiency and are easier to clean/backwash. I'd recommend eliminating all copper plumbing at the same time, as the copper is prone to staining. Proobable that you have bluish staining, or did before a resurface. Yes, it costs more, but it's a good investment, considering the better technology available today. You can probably even go down to a 1hp or 1.5 hp and not lose any performance in your pool/spa.

• 4 weeks later...

Look into the Hayward EcoStar variable speed pump. You can plug right into a T104 type clock (Guessing that's what you have for a clock) and get all the functions of a modern automated system built into the pump. Freeze protection, variable speeds, programming, time-out to circulate water for 30 minutes after you add chems etc... lots of value and effieciency for the money. Good luck, heres one I installed a few weeks ago....

IMG00417-20101019-1524.jpg?t=1289797711

IMG00418-20101019-1525.jpg?t=1289798054