Hot Tub Rash Allergie

maryloo01

hi , i baught a spa 3 month ago, at first it was ok but since a month i got the hot tub folliculite. i was treated. 2 weeks later i got the rash back, the doctor sais that i have folliculite but also an allergic reaction, we change the water from bromine to lithium. Still got the rash. I am very disapointed, is there any other ways of treating the water? i really need advise, i heard about ozonificator, would that be possible? please i need your advise.

Hi,

Although I am no expert on hot tubs, unfortunately I have first hand expertise on rashes and itches that seem to be related to hot tubs.

After about 2 years of using the tub I started to develop dry itchy patches of skin. At first I thought it was related to the pH of the tub but we corrected the pH and the itch persisted. Then I thought it was the sanitizer. We were using a salt system so we shut that down and switched to bromine - didn't help. Then we moved from bromine to hydrogen peroxide - didn't help. From there we moved to the BBB (bleach, baking soda, borax) method. This BBB didn't help the itch but it is way cheaper ;o)

Long and short, I am pretty much convinced that my skin just reacts to long exposure to hot water. I did go to a dermatologist and she prescrided an over the counter cream called Glaxel Base that does seem to help, plus she put me on an antihistemine (sp) to get the flare up under control. The meds did help but not in the long term.

All I can really say is that you may be reacting to your sanitizer, but then again it could simply be the hot water is drying up your skin. I shold also add that I never had foliculitus - although I thought that is what is was initially.

Good Luck...Tom

Hi,

Although I am no expert on hot tubs, unfortunately I have first hand expertise on rashes and itches that seem to be related to hot tubs.

After about 2 years of using the tub I started to develop dry itchy patches of skin. At first I thought it was related to the pH of the tub but we corrected the pH and the itch persisted. Then I thought it was the sanitizer. We were using a salt system so we shut that down and switched to bromine - didn't help. Then we moved from bromine to hydrogen peroxide - didn't help. From there we moved to the BBB (bleach, baking soda, borax) method. This BBB didn't help the itch but it is way cheaper ;o)

Long and short, I am pretty much convinced that my skin just reacts to long exposure to hot water. I did go to a dermatologist and she prescrided an over the counter cream called Glaxel Base that does seem to help, plus she put me on an antihistemine (sp) to get the flare up under control. The meds did help but not in the long term.

All I can really say is that you may be reacting to your sanitizer, but then again it could simply be the hot water is drying up your skin. I shold also add that I never had foliculitus - although I thought that is what is was initially.

Good Luck...Tom

My experience is much the same.

Its hot water related not chemical.

There's at least 50 different things that can cause what appears to be a rash. Here on a message boards we can all share our experiences...ALL of which mean NOTHING to your current condition. Guessing at what's causing the problem can actually make things worse, potentially permanently worse. The ONLY way to determine exactly what's causing the problem is to be properly and thoroughly diagnosed by a board certified dermatologist....anything else is just a guess and we might as well revert to blood-letting

Hi,

Good Luck...Tom

My experience is much the same.

Its hot water related not chemical.

Same thing here. I had been using hot tubs for years then got one myself. After about 8 months of using it every 2nd day I developer horrible rashes. There were different types and some I think can be attributed to an intolerance to gluten. Those have gone away now with my *** by the small red itchies persist. They look like foliculi but I don't think they are. Using creams and moisturizers will fix my dry eczema hands and a steroidal ointment will tame the itchies but use the tub and the next day they are back. (very unhappy). No amount of creams etc. afterwords will ward them off. It's just the heat that dries my skin I think.

I have tried not going in the tub for close to a month but the itchies still have not gone away 100%. As long as there are a couple of them and I am feeling good and go in the tub, next day whamo.. they are back and itchie all over. I think I will need to get rid of them entirely before I can go back in for a test.

I have an appointment next month with a gastrointerologist (to detect gluten or other allergy/intolerance). And to see a dermatologist. I am determined to find the root cause here.

This is not a fun thread to discuss but I see I am not alone and if I do get something useful I will return to post it. Good luck to all who suffer with this!

Greg

I have recently joined the group of unhappy hot tubbers after just using my new $10,000 Beachcomber for three months. My doctor said the rash is ezcema (which I had as a kid but eventually outgrew). He prescribed a 2.5% Sarna-HC - which is slowly making the rash go away. However, I am quite fearful of refilling the tub and trying it out again - but we will.

My doctor also said that because it is ONLY the two of us using the hot tub that the bromine level does not have to be as high as recommended - try to reduce the amount, rinse with a shower and gentle soap (Dove unscented) afterward and apply a good moisturizer. He also said that when the PH rises that the bromine settles deeper into the skin which will make the rash worse.

I spoke with a second doctor the next day on a casual basis and she said she has had a hot tub for years (is the sole user of it) and also has very sensitive skin. She said she does not use the recommended levels of chemicals - treats it one every two weeks for maintenance - does not use the recommended bromine level and dumps her water after three months and has no problems at all.

That is my experience - I would LOVE to hear from anyone who has tried reducing the chemicals - only if it is you or you and your partner using the tub would be the most helpful I think but my ears are wide open to all.

I am sad to think I may have to sell my brand new tub.

Thanks for listening and hopefully thanks for some input . . . Eleanor

I have recently joined the group of unhappy hot tubbers after just using my new $10,000 Beachcomber for three months. My doctor said the rash is ezcema (which I had as a kid but eventually outgrew). He prescribed a 2.5% Sarna-HC - which is slowly making the rash go away. However, I am quite fearful of refilling the tub and trying it out again - but we will.

My doctor also said that because it is ONLY the two of us using the hot tub that the bromine level does not have to be as high as recommended - try to reduce the amount, rinse with a shower and gentle soap (Dove unscented) afterward and apply a good moisturizer. He also said that when the PH rises that the bromine settles deeper into the skin which will make the rash worse.

I spoke with a second doctor the next day on a casual basis and she said she has had a hot tub for years (is the sole user of it) and also has very sensitive skin. She said she does not use the recommended levels of chemicals - treats it one every two weeks for maintenance - does not use the recommended bromine level and dumps her water after three months and has no problems at all.

That is my experience - I would LOVE to hear from anyone who has tried reducing the chemicals - only if it is you or you and your partner using the tub would be the most helpful I think but my ears are wide open to all.

I would try the product Silk Balance

I would try the product Silk Balance

What is Silk Balance exactly? Read their website and only see it described as "revolutionary" with a whole bush of user recommendations. Nothing on what it is and it's contents. Also claims to automatically balance CH, TA, and pH. hmmmm too go to be true usually means....

Greg