Hot Tub Warranty Opinions

MrGrinch

Hi all, I am new to the forum and wanted to ask you folks for your opinion on my situation. I live in Edmonton and have a $15k outdoor hot tub. The tub was installed ~4.5 years ago and has a 5 year warranty. Despite this tub having a reasonably reliable track record I have had a TON of problems with this tub. Most recently I had the "straw that broke the camels back" to the point that the manufacturer is now prepared to completely replace the tub free of charge. The only problem is that in doing so they will not renew or provide any extended warranty beyond the remaining 6 months. I feel that given the track record of the current tub to be fair they should provide more than a 6 month warranty to work out any kinks. But I'm assuming I am SOL on this. Anyone have any advice or have any experience with such a situation?

I will post more details on the vendor and situation once the warranty issues are resolved. I don't want to jeopordize the replacement in case the vendor or manufacturer posts on this forum. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Hi all, I am new to the forum and wanted to ask you folks for your opinion on my situation. I live in Edmonton and have a $15k outdoor hot tub. The tub was installed ~4.5 years ago and has a 5 year warranty. Despite this tub having a reasonably reliable track record I have had a TON of problems with this tub. Most recently I had the "straw that broke the camels back" to the point that the manufacturer is now prepared to completely replace the tub free of charge. The only problem is that in doing so they will not renew or provide any extended warranty beyond the remaining 6 months. I feel that given the track record of the current tub to be fair they should provide more than a 6 month warranty to work out any kinks. But I'm assuming I am SOL on this. Anyone have any advice or have any experience with such a situation?

I will post more details on the vendor and situation once the warranty issues are resolved. I don't want to jeopordize the replacement in case the vendor or manufacturer posts on this forum. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

In my limited experience in seeing customers that have dealt with similar, this seems pretty standard. I would say it wouldn't hurt to call the manufacture and ask if you can pay a small fee for an extended warranty, but ive never seen them reset/offer any extra warranty

I have been doing pool and spa repairs for 17 years. This is standard in the industry. Whether it is a complete spa replacement or part replacement, the new item carries the remainder of the warranty. From a consumer side I can understand you think you should get a extended warranty however on the flip side of this you should be glad there are standing behind the product. Many times over the years of doing this I have seen the manufacture do nothing or simply fix the crack which will be seen cosmetically, depending on the surface some more than others. So if I was in your shoes knowing what I know I would be very excited they are going to replace the spa. Look at it this way the manufacture is basically giving you a 15K spa at no charge. That is a smoking deal. :)

Hope it all works out well for you.

In this case what is "standard practice" in the industry is irrelevant. What is relevant is the specific consumer protection laws in your province (Alberta). I had a similar situation recently where my 2 year old spa (which developed a crack) was replaced with a brand new spa (by a different manufacturer). My "new" spa is treated as such and comes with a full new spa warranty. Mind you the consumer protection laws are very strict where I live (Quebec). In your case I would call the consumer protection office and ask what the law is concerning this situation. No matter what the manufacturer says their policy is, the have to abide by the the local laws.

Getting a replacement spa is a rare occurrence but certainly it makes sense to see what law might be in place in your area. In most cases the manufacturer could continue to attempt a fix on the spa that has been in place. When its done its often the manufacturers way of showing good faith that they recognize the spa has not performed well and want the customer to get the kind of spa they expected when they originally purchased. IMO there is no logical reason to extend the warranty behind the original expected date and as has been stated, it is standard practice for the replacement spa to carry on the remainder of the warranty. If there was some kind of law to force the warranty clock to begin all over again I can assure you manufacturers would replace FAR fewer spas and be more diligent in electing to continue to fix the one in place to avoid gving out a new full length warranty with the replacement spa.

Another way to look at it: if they were fixing one thing and replacing one part, you wouldn't necessarily expect them to extend the warranty. This is sort of the same except they are replacing all the parts which in a way is better yet. Still, I can understand your concern but hopefully your new tub won't be as problem prone.

I would agree with Spatech, In my experience when a manufacturer replaces your spa they give you the balance of the remaining warranty, Yes they are giving you a new spa showing i believe great faith, and a stand up company, yes you are getting a new spa but replacement based on yours you have, just now having a new spa. i believe that is great. Again there is a consumer responsibility with a hot tub purchase or any product you purchase,you have to read the warranties on the products purchased, But again the new spa for your 4 and 1/2 year old spa , possibly better technology then 4 years ago, more efficient? those are things you have to look at. Masaroni, on your comment about Lotus Bay. have you had a problem, i sell them and have not had one problem with the Lotus Bay. I think i have had a pillow issue we covered under warranty, even though it was a chemical inbalance.