Does Ozone Cause Problems To Cover Or Headrests

wesmk

A salesman told me the other day while looking at a Sundance Spa that the Ozone option is a bad idea because it will discolor the area of the cover above the water and the headrests. He states that Ozone is good for around 30 seconds when created, therefore, is still active on the surface of the water. So while the cover is on for most of the spa's life, the ozone is oxidizing the cover and anything it touches.

Does anyone have an ozone system on their spa, and if so, is this true?

Thanks,

any experience with the FROG system? The Caldera brand I'm looking at has this option. Will this be sufficient without the ozone option?

Frog is a melal "ion' system that uses silver and zinc (and an optional liquid copper based algaecide). Otherwise it is a bromine system.

Save your money (those frog carts are expensive) and just go with either chlorine or bromine. While it is true that ozone had negative side effects it is useful to an extent with bromine.

which chemicals do you recommend, Chlorine or bromine? I know very little about this

This forum has an excellent search function. Since only you can decide what will fit into your lifestyle I suggest you start learning about the different sanitizer systems used in spas. I would stick with either chlorine or bromine and stay away from the 'alternative' systems. If you want to spend the money a salt generator for either chlorine or bromine is also an option. Don't rule out ozone, it has it's place as a secondary oxidizer used with either chlorine or bromine (but it is NOT a primary sanitizer).