Cleaned Filter, Can't Get The Silly Lid On

ussfpa

Hi Folks,

I came across your very informative forum whilst searching Google for an answer. I have an inground pool with a Nautilus DE filter (the big silver one). It needed a thorough cleaning - and instead of paying pool dude $135 I decided to do it myself. So far so good....but now I can't get the silly lid back over the HUGE rubber gasket.

I have used crisco, silicone lube, weights, ratchet straps, a rubber mallet, screwdriver, rubber covered pusher....all to no avail. That gasket is winning the war and I need to find the secret to defeating it.

Any help out there???

Many thanks!

Joe

Have you called the manufacturer? They should be able to e-mail you a manual. Sorry, I have nothing more to offer.

I have the manual...it says "ensure the gasket is lubed, place cover over gasket, push into place, apply band around filter"

Thanks.

Joe

Try replacing the gasket. Else (I'm grasping at straws now) carefully remove the gasket and place in the fridge for an hour while leaving the cover bottom up in the sun, then replace the gasket and try again. But I doubt this will help much, if brute force isn't yielding results. You might want to call the manufacturer and ask for a list of local reps, then call one of them. I would hate to do that, but I'd hate the downtime even more. LEt us know when and how you get it fixed...

Oh, don't use Crisco! The animal fats can degrade the rubber. If liquid silicone doesn't do the trick the problem is elsewhere.

Quick Update...

Ended up calling pool guy

"Good Morning, I took apart my DE Filter and cannot get the lid back on"

"Good Morning Sir, I'll be right out - that will be $60"

:blink:

He comes out, looks at it, tries to seat the lid for literally 10 seconds...

"Well Sir, Looks like it doesn't fit anymore. Let's try a new gasket. I'll bring it by in a couple of days"

So - waiting.

Thank you to all who took the time and effort to respond. I do appreciate it.

Joe

If your last post was not tongue in cheek, call another pool company. Not because the guy is wrong, he may very well be right. But DE filters with those huge o-rings are a pain in the ass. PATIENCE is key, and having a second person around is helpful.

You may need a new gasket anyway, but I've spent over an hour trying to get those things back on, even with a new one, but perserverance pays off.

And so the saga ends...peacefully...and with my own efforts.

Pool Dude calls back:

"I can get you your gasket...should run $49, it'll be in next week, I'll cut you a deal on the second service call"

Me:

"Isn't there one local?"

Pool Dude:

"If there is, I can't find it - and I've got ALL the connections"

Me:

"OK Thanks" - and I get on the phone and internet. Internet price for the gasket is $15.

I call a number of pool places here in my local area...

"Yes Sir, I have that gasket in stock...it is $12.08":huh:

"Awesome - I'll be right there."

I go get the gasket, install it, place my filter back in service, call pool dude:

"Hey Buddy, I found the gasket locally for 12 bucks and put my filter back into service. No need for you to come back out"

Pool Dude:

I guess I can cut you a break on the service call then, I WAS the one who told you you needed a new gasket. In the future, you shold consider leaving the service to the professionals.

Me:

"Uh, OK. Thanks. I'll be SURE to call you if I need anything else" :rolleyes: Then he charged me $20 for his expert advice vs the original $60.

So - the long story long...I fixed it with a new gasket. Took about 10 minutes and all total 32 bucks :D

Thank you again to all who took the time and effort to respond.

Joe

Good for you - not a bad result, considering some companies would have charged you the full price for the visit. He appears to have a conscience, and for that reason alone you might save his name and phone number - he might give you a discount if you ever need to call him again (if it's not the owner, he'll probably work at a discount if you 1) pay cash and 2) ask him to do it on his time instead of his employer's time - never hurts to ask).

• 12 years later...

I have a brand new pentair quad DE filter and cleaned it for the first time.  Everything went well until the final step of putting on the lid.  It has a big spring on top of the manifold that pushes the lid off the seat when trying to put on the rather heavy circular clamp.  I am 69 years old and my back is killing me from bending over trying to get this damn clamp on and trying to get the lid to seat uniformly and then when trying to get the long clamp screw in the mounting hole the whole damn thing falls.  EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING AND I AM GETTING BACK SORE AND HOT FROM THIS SUPPOSEDLY EASY METHOD!!!!! 

I terribly miss my old purex filter with the lid that fits OVER the o-ring and the purex logo brass swing clamp handle.  Anyone remember that??

C'MON PENTAIR!!!   THERE'S GOT TO BE AN EASIER DESIGN FOR THIS SORT OF CLAMP!!!!

Purex filter clamp.jpg

Not sure why you are having these problems. The lid should fit on with no problems and the spring should not be pushing it off. Perhaps these YouTube videos might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLJvkeW5wtY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UhnyRNjrkM&t=59s

(FWIW, I am also 69 years old but I have found that Pentair filters are one of the easier ones to maintain.) DE filters are more work than sand filters in general and Purex IS Pentair. All new filters are sold under the Pentair brand, the Purex brand was retired many years ago. Comparing maintenance on a sand filter and a DE filter is literally comparing apples to oranges.