Sand Filter Issues

DJones

I recently installed a 26" baqapure / 200lb sand filter on small 5000 gallon pool. I have the pump set at 1750 RPM filtering 12 hours a day, and chlorine dispenser on the line running back to the pool. I am having three issues that I am looking for guidance on and wondering if they are related.

1. The water from the start has seemed a little hazy. Its clean but just isnt crystal clear like in previous years despite shocking every week.

2. I notice what looks like sand accumulating where there are seams or wrinkles in the liner.

3. On top of the filter where you can switch to bypass, backwash, and so on, the seal inst the best. If I move the control handle at all, water starts coming out of the backwash port. Even when I place it back in filter position water still trickles out. I have to take a rubber mallet and gently tap the handle where it connects to the center of the filter head to get the water to stop trickling.

Could this filter be blowing small particles of sand into the pool because the seal on the control handle is flaky or all these cause by something else entirely?

Also, any guidance on how to fix that control handle?

Thanks,

David

Perfection is difficult to achieve, however.....

A little Clarifier will get the water Crystal Clear.

It works by causing extremely fine dirt to cling together so the filter can capture it.

Dirt carries an electrical charge that causes them to repel one another, clarifier removes the charge so the dirt particles can come together.

It takes about 48 hours and the dirt falls to the bottom of the pool.

I use a cartridge filter and it eventually makes it clog up more frequently.

But thats the price we pay for "Crystal Clear" water.

It's sold at Walmart and use very little.

The first time I put a little in my filter chamber and the cartridge would clog up in 5 minutes after washing.

I had to buy a new cartridge.

Don't know what it would do to a sand filter so be careful.

As far as valve leaks.....

At some time closely inspect O Ring grooves for burrs and plastic mold mismatch.

File and sand groove to obtain a smooth sealing surface for the O rings.

Coat O Ring with vaseline, etc.

Worked for me on a Hair and Lint filter cover that was sucking air bubbles.

I'm not too worried about the haze as far as swimming in it. I really just want to know that the filter is working properly. When I change the port position on the multi-port valve the water gushes out of the backwash port. When I get it back to filter it still comes out of the back wash port just slower. I can usually get it to stop by tapping the multi-port handle with a rubber mallet. I have a hose connected to the backwash port and just have it going back into the pool so the drip doesn't create a swamp. The water that is coming out of it looks clean unless I have it on backwash.

So my symptoms are...

1. I think the haze must be sand particles floating in the water and then they settle out to the bottom because I get what looks like sand on the bottom of the pool.

2. Backwash port drips constantly and I have to use a mallet to stop it.

3. I am reading between 0-5 PSI on the pressure gauge but most of the time 0 PSI

4. The suction on the pump seems to drop after a while and the only way for me to restore it is to change the position of the multi-valve port and then move it back to filter and the suction is strong again.

5. When I hook up the vacuum, it works well for a little while and then the suction drops.

Thanks,

David

I'm not too worried about the haze as far as swimming in it. I really just want to know that the filter is working properly. When I change the port position on the multi-port valve the water gushes out of the backwash port. When I get it back to filter it still comes out of the back wash port just slower. I can usually get it to stop by tapping the multi-port handle with a rubber mallet. I have a hose connected to the backwash port and just have it going back into the pool so the drip doesn't create a swamp. The water that is coming out of it looks clean unless I have it on backwash.

So my symptoms are...

1. I think the haze must be sand particles floating in the water and then they settle out to the bottom because I get what looks like sand on the bottom of the pool.

2. Backwash port drips constantly and I have to use a mallet to stop it.

3. I am reading between 0-5 PSI on the pressure gauge but most of the time 0 PSI

4. The suction on the pump seems to drop after a while and the only way for me to restore it is to change the position of the multi-valve port and then move it back to filter and the suction is strong again.

5. When I hook up the vacuum, it works well for a little while and then the suction drops.

Thanks,

David

First think I would do is check the spider gasket in the multiport valve. It's the rubber think that looks lke a wagon wheel with spokes. It's probably either worn, mis seated, or damaged. They are not hard to replace and are not expensive and do wear out. You just have to get the right one for your valve since ther are so many different styles. You ARE shutting off the pump before changing valve positions, aren't you? If not that is why you damaged the gasket.

AS far as the haze goes, I suspect it it a water quality issue and not the filter. IF you could post a full set of test restults NOT done with strips we can tell more. I am particularly interested in you CYA levels and where you normally keep your FC.

Perfection is difficult to achieve, however.....

A little Clarifier will get the water Crystal Clear.

It works by causing extremely fine dirt to cling together so the filter can capture it.

Dirt carries an electrical charge that causes them to repel one another, clarifier removes the charge so the dirt particles can come together.

It takes about 48 hours and the dirt falls to the bottom of the pool.

I use a cartridge filter and it eventually makes it clog up more frequently.

But thats the price we pay for "Crystal Clear" water.

It's sold at Walmart and use very little.

The first time I put a little in my filter chamber and the cartridge would clog up in 5 minutes after washing.

I had to buy a new cartridge.

Don't know what it would do to a sand filter so be careful.

As far as valve leaks.....

At some time closely inspect O Ring grooves for burrs and plastic mold mismatch.

File and sand groove to obtain a smooth sealing surface for the O rings.

Coat O Ring with vaseline, etc.

Worked for me on a Hair and Lint filter cover that was sucking air bubbles.

LOTS of misinformation here!!!! Damage control:

Clarifier is normally unnecessary if proper water maintenance is being followed. Also, there are different types of clarifiers and floc. Polymeric clarifiers work better with sand filters and chitosan based ones are more effective with cartridge filters. Both are used as filter aids to remove particulate matter. DE and Cart filters normally don't need them and the best filter aid for sand filters is enough DE to raise the filter pressure 1 psi.. Floc is what causes everything to drop to the bottom where it is then vacuumed to waste so it is only useful for sand filters with a multiport valve. It is commonly used after an algae bloom has been killed to remove the dead algae quickly but is of little use otherwise.

It is obvious that the poster has no clue about how a sand filter works or what a multiport valve is. The discussion on o rings is completely bogus. Filing and sanding o ring groves is a good way to damage a filter and ask for leaks. If there are seating problems and burrs then the unit is defective and should have been replaced when it was installed. NEVER use Vaseline on an o-ring. It attacks and destroys the rubber. Use only pool grade Teflon or silicone grease.