A Deal I Couldn't Pass Up!

I purchased a Sundance 800 series spa that is in excellent condition. The only known problems are a lot of wood rot around the trim and part of the frame where it was sitting on the concrete pad and exposed to weather. There is also some sort of ultraviolet device that filters the water that I'm not sure is working or not. The "fizzy" jets are not functioning. Everything else functions perfectly and the tub itself is in immaculate condition. I am documenting the moving, installing and restoration of it on a flickr set. Would love any advice or information that you could give me and please don't hold back. I want to know what I'm getting into. And I purchased this from a family member for nearly nothing which is the biggest reason I took on this project.

Here is the process I'm currently going through to get it moved from its current home to it's new home:

I have 5 strong guys, a ford tractor with front end loader that can lift up to 1200 lbs and a dual axle trailer to set it on. Our plan is to raise each side of it, place 2x4's under it to get it off the ground and then slide some straps underneath it to lift it. The tractor will lift it and we will all walk up the hill with it and keep it from swinging. We'll set it on the trailer and transport it to it's new home.

At the new home, I am in the process of prepping an area in my deck with paver stone footings on top of sand. I'm going to make sure it's all level. I am cutting a space into my deck and will recess it into the deck.

Now, for the first question. Do I need to worry about trim on the sides that are recessed into the deck? If anything, I could just nail some OSB to the frame where it's recessed and trim out the exposed areas?

Any recommendations where I can get some replacement trim, especially on those rounded corners?

I think that's all for now but I plan on keeping this thread updated. The moving of the tub should take place on July 25th and I'll be taking plenty pictures of the progress.

Thank you for your contributions.

Eventually, all tubs need some repair or replacement of parts. This advise is for ANY recessed hot tub, regardless of brand or model.

If you are going to recess the tub in any way, you need to build the "recess" structure in such a way that you will be able to service the tub from all four sides. This means that you should still be able to remove all the side panels of the tub and have plenty of room to work should any problems occur that requires repair from inside and/or under the tub once your tub is recessed. Otherwise, if service is required and access is not provided, you will either a) need to drain the tub and remove it/lift it from the recessed structure, or B) disassemble the structure around the tub to do any repair.

Good luck with your move.

gman

Eventually, all tubs need some repair or replacement of parts. This advise is for ANY recessed hot tub, regardless of brand or model.

If you are going to recess the tub in any way, you need to build the "recess" structure in such a way that you will be able to service the tub from all four sides. This means that you should still be able to remove all the side panels of the tub and have plenty of room to work should any problems occur that requires repair from inside and/or under the tub once your tub is recessed. Otherwise, if service is required and access is not provided, you will either a) need to drain the tub and remove it/lift it from the recessed structure, or B) disassemble the structure around the tub to do any repair.

Good luck with your move.

gman

Thanks gman. Do you have a recommendation of how much space to provide? You bring up a good point and the only place where it may be a problem is against the house. The pump and control panel side I was going to have it facing out for easy access. The other two sides would have plenty of room to access by pulling up boards that are screwed down in the deck. But the side against the house has only inches between it and the house by the way it's planned now.

Thanks again. -- Jim

I have no good suggestions other than find another spot for your tub. You should have access to all four sides. If you do not have access to all four sides, then any structures in your way should be easily removable. If the structures are not easily removable, then you have to recognize and be willing to accept the fact that you may have to drain the tub and move it for repairs. That means additional time and manpower to: i) drain, ii) move tub, iii) replace tub, iv) refill, and v) re-establish safe proper water chemistry.

Also, when considering where you intend to place your hot tub, you should also know that some "clearance" between your hot tub and any structure, i.e., house wall, balcony railing, pergola post, etc., is necessary to accommodate your cover and cover lifter (I am assuming your hot tub has a cover and a cover lifter). How much clearance/operating space you need between the tub and any structure will depend on which cover lifter you have installed and the direction the cover is opened. You will need to check the particular cover lifter model to get clearance requirements. Just something else to keep that in mind when considering where you want to place your hot tub and how it will be positioned in the space.

Good luck and happy tubbing.

gman