What To Prep For A Future Pool?

Walter

Hello. We are in the process of planning for our backyard. At this stage we cannot afford a pool but would like to put one in in a few years time. We are going to be laying some concrete and was hoping for some ideas on what I should run before doing the concrete. Thanks

this is from someone who just had his pool finished in september. Where ever you put you cement take into consideration how the heavy equipment to build you pool will get into your back yard. I would also leave at least 5 feet or more of empty soace between the edge of your pool and your patio.When you finaly get your pool you will love it just make sure you read every line on the contract Good Luck

Walter, I think the basics include utility connections [e.g.; water; power (electricity); fuel (natural gas, propane, and fuel oil); sewer; or storm drainage) as needed for your intended pool equipment and/or building department requirements. Other possibilities include, conduit for pool equipment automation and/or audio speakers, underground supply and return pipes for solar heating, etc. If you have not yet done so, you will want to determine a likely location for your pool and equipment platform, as well as, planning/building department setbacks and requirements.

My rule of thumb it that it is usually MUCH less expensive to provide needed and extra underground pipes/conduit installed early that may be unused, than the cost of installing something you needed later after your landscaping is completed. Do not forget that construction access will be needed for installing a pool, which can significantly damage any existing hardscape and landscape in the path.

For the future, you may want to invest about $30 into getting a good reference pool book. If you have not yet done so, check your local library for books on the subject of pool maintenance/construction to see if there is one you like. I have a short review of a few books on my blog (noted below). While it is very large, I think you will find “The Ultimate Pool Maintenance Manual” a good choice. Since it is almost 700 pages, you need to use it like these pool bulletin boards, search for the information you need and only read the part that covers your problem.

Also, I have links on my blog to a few pool construction sites that may be helpful. Good luck!