Solar Blankets

Hansps

Hi All,

I have a small Ig pool in Florida and am a first time owner. My water temp was close to 90 degrees which I really enjoy. We had a stretch of several cloudy rainy days and my water temp dropped noticably eventhough the daytime temps were in the low 90s. Total rain was maybe 4+ inches. I assume the temp drop was due to the rain.

I've been reading about solar blankets and have found conflicting info. How should I use a blanket to heat the pool the most given I live in a hot humid environment with little wind. Do I leave it off during the day, only put it on at night when the ambient temp drops below the water temp, etc?

Can a blanket actually add heat to the water (in my environment) or does it only keep the heat from escaping?

Thanks,

Hans

Hi All,

I have a small Ig pool in Florida and am a first time owner. My water temp was close to 90 degrees which I really enjoy. We had a stretch of several cloudy rainy days and my water temp dropped noticably eventhough the daytime temps were in the low 90s. Total rain was maybe 4+ inches. I assume the temp drop was due to the rain.

I've been reading about solar blankets and have found conflicting info. How should I use a blanket to heat the pool the most given I live in a hot humid environment with little wind. Do I leave it off during the day, only put it on at night when the ambient temp drops below the water temp, etc?

Can a blanket actually add heat to the water (in my environment) or does it only keep the heat from escaping?

Thanks,

Hans

I live in Florida also. I also have a heat pump to heat my pool and spa so it is often quite a bit warmer than the ambient temperature at certain times of the year. The pool is open year round.

Solar blankets are not meant to heat the water. They prevent heat loss due to evaporation, usually a night. cooler air temps at night lead to more evaporation Best way to use them is to put them on at night and take them off during the day since uncovered water will heat better. Make sure your pump is off at night since any water movement will lead to evaporation. In a best case scenario they can prevent abut a 6 degree heat loss. They won't help heat the water if there is rain or cloudy days with cooler air temps, but can help prevent further heat loss from evaporation.