New Commercial Pool System Any Ideas?

CMPguy

Hey guys I'm looking for a new pool system for a friend of mine who operates an commercial pool.

I'm not leaning towards any one particular manuf. but have seen Hayward and Pentair being one of the biggest.

I figured I would gain the best advice from people like yourselves who know the in's and out's of this trade.

Pool Data:

Surface Area: 736 sf.

Volume: 21,786 gallons

Now running the setup he is looking to replace now, with something more better or streamline I got the following data:

Turnover Rate: 5.6hrs

Recirculation Rate: 65gpm

Pump Make: Purex

Pump Model Challenger 2hp

Suction outlet: Main Drain

Quanity: 1

Size 12"x12"

Max Flow Rate 90gpm all valves open

Type of over flow: Skimmer

quanity:2

Equalizer Line: Yes

Autofill: No

From this information what do you guys gather as being the best system money can buy right now

To include, pump, filter, new piping, meters etc.

Thanks and Happy 4th!!!!!

Hey guys I'm looking for a new pool system for a friend of mine who operates an commercial pool.

I'm not leaning towards any one particular manuf. but have seen Hayward and Pentair being one of the biggest.

I figured I would gain the best advice from people like yourselves who know the in's and out's of this trade.

Pool Data:

Surface Area: 736 sf.

Volume: 21,786 gallons

Now running the setup he is looking to replace now, with something more better or streamline I got the following data:

Turnover Rate: 5.6hrs

Recirculation Rate: 65gpm

Pump Make: Purex

Pump Model Challenger 2hp

FWIW, this pump is still made. Pentair owns Purex and puts out the Challenger series under the Pentair brand now, They were formerly available under the Sta-rite brand, after the Purex brand (another Pentair company) after the Purex brand was dropped. The pump is unchanged, just the branding.They actually have seven different 2 hp models, 2 are full rated and one is uprated in the high flow series and 3 full rated and 1 uprated in the high pressure series. The size of the pump is really dependent on the filter and you did not list that.

http://www.pentairpo...re-pumps-24.htm

http://www.pentairpo...ow-pumps-23.htm

Suction outlet: Main Drain

Quanity: 1

Size 12"x12"

Max Flow Rate 90gpm all valves open

Type of over flow: Skimmer

quanity:2

Equalizer Line: Yes

Autofill: No

From this information what do you guys gather as being the best system money can buy right now

To include, pump, filter, new piping, meters etc.

Thanks and Happy 4th!!!!!

There is no BEST system. However, commercial equipment is going to be NSF rated and such things as flow rate are different for commercial and residential pools. Start with the filter and from there the rest of the system can be determined. First question is whether the filter is going to be sand, cartridge, or DE and if there are any local ordinances that prohibit certain type of filters (such as sand or DE without a separate separation tank.)

For flowmeters I would recommend Blue/White. Piping is really a matter of code in your location and, since not all the original piping can be replaced that also is a factor.

Make sure that the main drain and equalizers are in compliance.

Q: What are public pool and spa owners/operators obligated to do to comply with the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act (Act)?

A: As of December 19, 2008, all operating public pools and spas must have drain covers that meet the ANSI/ASME A112.19.8-2007 standard on every drain/grate. A list of drain cover manufacturers can be found at http://www.poolsafety.gov/draincman.html

In addition, if the pool has a single main drain (other than an unblockable drain), the operator must either disable the drain or install a second anti-entrapment device or system. This can take the form of an automatic shut-off system, gravity drainage system, Safety Vacuum Release System (SVRS) or suction-limiting vent system. A pool may have more than one single main drain. If a pool has dual or multiple main drains more than 3 feet apart, it may be exempt from this second requirement. Pools and spas with single main drains that are unblockable are also exempt from this requirement.

A list of SVRS manufacturers can be found at http://www.poolsafety.gov/svrsman.html

Q: Are equalizer lines in public pools covered in the Act?

A: Yes, skimmer equalizer lines are submerged drains and must either be covered (with an ASME/ANSI A112.19.8-2007 compliant cover) or plugged. Equalizer lines are not considered to be main drains based on CPSC staff's interpretation of the law.

http://www.poolsafety.gov/pssafaq.html

I'm guessing you are planning on sand filters, I have never been or will be a fan of Pac Fab, but for comm apps, I have yet to see one spec'd without a Pac Fab Sand filter. Challenger pumps have always been noisy...

I'm guessing you are planning on sand filters, I have never been or will be a fan of Pac Fab, but for comm apps, I have yet to see one spec'd without a Pac Fab Sand filter. Challenger pumps have always been noisy...

Pac Fab no longer exists and hasn't for some time. Pentair is branding all their pool equipemtn with the Pentair brand, including the Sta-rite line.

Pac Fab no longer exists and hasn't for some time. Pentair is branding all their pool equipemtn with the Pentair brand, including the Sta-rite line.

Isn't the design the same (Triton vs C30)? The style is what I was after (Purex-Pentair-whisper flo) That style and design works well especially for keeping up with county and city health regs (large amount of turn over) As for that System 3, are there any techs that would like to comment on servicing that...thing?