Heater Moans And Vibrates

RobFire

My below ground pool heater is making strange noises this year. When heating it moans, I can change the pitch by adjusting the throttling valves in/out of the heat exchanger. When set point temperature is reached I have also noticed that when the heater turns on, the heater will start to vibrate and shake for 5 seconds, then continues to moan. If the heater is not on and water is just passing thru the heat exchanger -- no noise.

The pump was changed a couple of years ago. However, at end of last year season, the heater was no longer turning on and pool temperature dropped. This year I found and replaced a faulty pressure sensor, replaced the thermocouple\pilot assembly as well. Heater works fine now except for the moaning and groaning. While working on the heater, I was draining the lines by removing a spring loaded device bolted on to the side of the heat exchanger (probably the thermostat device??). Does the device have a preferred orientation, could be mounted either way? The heater is a MIN/MAX unit. How do you determine if that is faulty?

The spring loaded devise is the bypass valve. It controls the actual amount of water that goes through the heat exchanger. It sounds like there's a problem with the bypass valve, and it's not diverting enough water through the exchanger, and the water in the exchanger is approaching the boiling point, which it what's causing the noise....or the exchanger is clogging up

Yep, the bypass is opening enough where it will make noise (a groan) kinda like when you whistle, you have to have your lips open just right to make sound, only in the case of your heater, it's a vibration. Could be something as simple as a different flow rate (new pump), or the thermostat-bypass has begun to fail, and therefore is not opening the same amount as it used to, and subsequently is causing the heater to begin to vibrate, or shake as the water begins to boil (washing machine syndrome).

Yes, that would make a difference. The extra piping means the water has to travel farther which would equate to lower flow. Would this be enough to cause your problem? Perhaps, all systems are different with this respect. If it ran noiseless before the unit was installed then now it makes noise? I would at least take the by-pass out and inspect it.

Be careful when ordering. Some heaters have a mechanical (flow) by-pass and another one for temperature.

Some are combined.

My below ground pool heater is making strange noises this year. When heating it moans, I can change the pitch by adjusting the throttling valves in/out of the heat exchanger. When set point temperature is reached I have also noticed that when the heater turns on, the heater will start to vibrate and shake for 5 seconds, then continues to moan. If the heater is not on and water is just passing thru the heat exchanger -- no noise.

You are not getting enough water flow thru heater, trying backwashing filter or clean cartridge. May also be a bad heater by-pass.