Algae-Help

JFS

Have 18K plaster pool that I have mantained 25 yrs. I have recently been having problem with yellow algae.Drained 3/4 water couple months ago because of high calcium, also have solar so I keep temp at 85.

FC 7.0 CC 0 TA 85 CYA 60 CH 290 PH 7.6

I use tabs, periodicaly use poly60. I have never had this much algae and need some advise on what I am doing wrong.I also wonder if it is normal to have to add 2-4lbs baking soda per week.

Thanks-Joe

The tabs are probably trichlor, which is acidic (besides adding both FC and CYA). The acidic effect is probably why you're using a lot of baking soda.

If you have algae, then you need to bring the FC up to proper shock level, which is around FC 18 according to the Pool Calculator. Bring FC up, and keep it there, until it holds overnight and the water is clear. You'd need a FAS-DPD chlorine test to measure FC that high; you can find that test in the Taylor K-2006, or you can get it separately, from a couple places on the web.

--paulr