Gate Valves

I have two gate valves that are stuck and I cannot turn them. I tried to force them with a lever and broke the valve handle. I have attempted to attach a picture to this post however it only allows you to attach a URL with a picture. Anyways I have decided to cut the pipes and put new gate valves on. The Pool store sells the 1.5" Bronze Valve for $23.90 and Lowes sells a 1.5" Brass Valve for $11.79. Does it make a difference if it is brass or bronze?

You should really use/consider using a plastic valve like Jandy's or Pentair's if at all possible. You won't have to worry about them sticking, ever. If you do have any kind of problem, you can disassemble them and replace parts without disturbing the plumbing.

You should really use/consider using a plastic valve like Jandy's or Pentair's if at all possible. You won't have to worry about them sticking, ever. If you do have any kind of problem, you can disassemble them and replace parts without disturbing the plumbing.

I would second that. I use the plastic Jandy's. They are fine.

And of course I agree with a jandy. Home depot/lowes also offers a less expensive, less reliable, valve that is called a ball valve. The down side is they are 1 in 1 out so you may have to get creative with your plumbing.

• 4 months later...