Summer Use Of Hot Tub

Just wondering what others do in hot summer months. I loved my H.S. Envoy during the fall, winter and spring and used it almost daily. However, the summer is about here and temps are already hitting upper 80's and approaching the 90's. I find that my face sweats in warm ambient temps and I feel less like using the tub in heat and humidity. If that continues and my usage drops significantly, is it better to empty the tub for a few months and forgo the possible use on rare cool nights or keep it full and treat the water even though I'm not in it much? I imagine that even with minimal use, the water needs regular maintenance with chemicals and that is what makes me consider just emptying until cooler weather. So, what do the other hot weather users do and if I keep it full, do I continue the same maintenance or is it possible to cut back and not endanger the water balance? Thanks.

most of the summer the temperature stays pretty comfortable here, but in August it can kiss 100 F for about a week. I turn the spa temperature to around 90, it feels cool and refreshing in the hot weather.

Dave

Whatever sanitizer you're using, you should need less to maintain your minimum levels, if you're not using the tub all the time.

If you do drain it for the summer, you should probably do a Spa Decontamination when you refill, because there's always going to be a little puddle left in the plumbing somewhere.

--paulr

I vote for keeping it wet.

I bet you will find that late night soaks during summer can still feel good, but like others I turn the water temp down when it's really warm.

If you use your tub less and/or keep your temp lower, your sanitizer use should decrease. But I would still test just as frequently. Sometimed clear looking water has nasty stuff in it, and you can get biofilms in the plumbing. So test and adjust on the same schedule as always, but expect to use a bit less chems.

We also find it refreshing to drop the temperature a few degrees in the hot weather.

Same here. I keep it between 96-99 in the summer. There's nothing better than a nice soak after doing a bunch of yard work. If it's real hot, I jump in the pool to cool down, then move to the hot tub.

Just wondering what others do in hot summer months. I loved my H.S. Envoy during the fall, winter and spring and used it almost daily. However, the summer is about here and temps are already hitting upper 80's and approaching the 90's. I find that my face sweats in warm ambient temps and I feel less like using the tub in heat and humidity. If that continues and my usage drops significantly, is it better to empty the tub for a few months and forgo the possible use on rare cool nights or keep it full and treat the water even though I'm not in it much? I imagine that even with minimal use, the water needs regular maintenance with chemicals and that is what makes me consider just emptying until cooler weather. So, what do the other hot weather users do and if I keep it full, do I continue the same maintenance or is it possible to cut back and not endanger the water balance? Thanks.

I have a hot spring jetsetter, and hot spring is so energy efficient I just leave it filled during the summer and put down the temperature. You can always put it on summer-timer.

We've had our tub for about 5 years now and have emptied it every summer. After it's empty, I thoroughly clean it, and put a fitted tarp cover over it. We live in PA and the summers are just too hot to use a hot tub. Even with it set to economy, the sun will heat the water. Who wants to sit in ninety degree water on a hot summer day (or night)? I've heard some people actually put a block of ice in the tub to cool it down!